Tables of Mountains

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By pistolrider on 02/12/13 at 5:14pm

Are you guy's aware of the book I use to help me get around the hills.

I think it must be much like the Nuttalls books, listing all the separate mountains and tops. Its written by George Bridge and is called "The Mountains of England and Wales."

I think the Nuttall list may be more accurate as in the Bridge book there are only 150 mountains and tops in the Lakes. I notice that Nuttalls, (according to this site) list 171 Mountains and tops.

By TallPaul on 02/12/13 at 5:26pm

Oh lord, don't use the word "accurate" when talking about lists of tops. That way madness lies.

But to answer your question, no it's not a book I'm familiar with - but there are quite a lot of such books about.

We rely on The Database of British Hills for all our listings and heights.The guys behind that take it all very, very seriously ... not that this is a bad thing, but it's a little scary.

By pistolrider on 02/12/13 at 5:57pm

I totally agree with you last comment, anyone who is prepared to pour over a large scale map trying to find a small lump which just happens to rise over 2000ft has got to be mad.

However these folks do provide us with something that gets us doing hills that we would not normally consider.

Without the work they do we would all be on Great Gable, Scafell or Helvellyn.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.