Mid Wales Walks

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By pistolrider on 25/12/13 at 1:51pm

I have just got back from Mid Wales and wish to post this walk. As there is only 11 hills and subsidiary tops, I shall post it under South Wales. However, Paul if you wish to open a new topic (Mid Wales) and then move the post, that will be fine by me. I will be making further posts for this area, as I can reach these hills easily from home.

By TallPaul on 27/12/13 at 9:57am

I think for now there's probably few enough walk reports here that further sub-dividing them is just going to make things look sparser. I suspect we'll end up with more walk reports in North than South (more pointy tops ;-) ) so if you want to keep using South for now for your mid-Wales walks that will balance things up.

Hmmm ... perhaps I should rename "North Wales" as "Snowdonia", so that would cover all the lumpy stuff on the NW down as far as (and including) Cadair Idris, and "South Wales" as "Rest of Wales". What do you think?

By pistolrider on 27/12/13 at 4:36pm

Having thought about it, you are right Paul, to further sub divide the walks posts topics is unnecessary. If we think about the character of the hills, then it is best to lump everything south of the Dovey estuary together and maybe call it "South and Mid Wales".

As for changing North Wales, to Snowdonia, I'm not keen. I never think I'm in Snowdonia, when I visit the Berwyns or the Arans. I only consider that tiny corner, consisting of, The Carneddau, The Glyders and Snowdon groups to be Snowdonia.

Now I've started to post my walks, I'm hooked,it's a great way to keep a diary of walks taken, without actually having to put pen to paper. I'm not sure if it is possible but I would like to be able to show a map of the route taken but don't know how I could do this. I feel this would make my report complete, if it can be done, your help would be appreciated.

By TallPaul on 27/12/13 at 5:36pm

Having thought about it, you are right Paul, to further sub divide the walks posts topics is unnecessary. If we think about the character of the hills, then it is best to lump everything south of the Dovey estuary together and maybe call it "South and Mid Wales".

As for changing North Wales, to Snowdonia, I'm not keen. I never think I'm in Snowdonia, when I visit the Berwyns or the Arans. I only consider that tiny corner, consisting of, The Carneddau, The Glyders and Snowdon groups to be Snowdonia.

OK. I have made it so.

Now I've started to post my walks, I'm hooked,it's a great way to keep a diary of walks taken, without actually having to put pen to paper. I'm not sure if it is possible but I would like to be able to show a map of the route1 taken but don't know how I could do this. I feel this would make my report complete, if it can be done, your help would be appreciated.

Right, well you need a GPX file and, at the moment and there's two ways of getting one:

1. Record your track using your shiny new GPS and download it onto your PC as a GPX file

2. Use our route planning software to record where you went as a route and then download then onto your PC

Once you've got a GPX file you're home free as you can just add it as an attachment. See here for how to do that and here for an example of it in use (that's a route as I didn't have a GPS with me at the time).

You'll note that above I say "at the moment". On my List Of Things To Do is to add a link into the page where you write a walk report so that you can drop into the route planning software, draw where you went as a route and then have it pasted straight into your walk report. The other thing on the List Of Things To Do is to make it auto-populate the tops visited, start OSGB etc using data in the GPX file.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.

By pistolrider on 28/12/13 at 3:03pm

Hey! Paul........YOU ARE THE MAN!

Have now added map of route to the walk report......I could never have guessed (in a million years) that it was so easy.

I have been using a combination of "Bridges Tables of Mountains over 2000ft" and your GPS Mapping software to plan my routes already. I downloaded the Radnor Forest route to my GPSr and used it for the whole day, on the hill, It was absolutely spot on.

The work you have done on this site really improves my personal hill experience. Thanks mate!

By pistolrider on 04/01/14 at 12:22am

OK Paul, I have another couple of suggestions to the titles of the Walk Reports to make them more obvious to those reporting their walk, the dividing line being the A66, Doing it this way, would also mean you have to add no extra titles.

York's Moors. Change to :- Northern Pennines, Cheviots and York's Moors.

York's Dales. Change to :- Central Pennines including The York's Dales

By TallPaul on 04/01/14 at 2:56pm

Having talked this over we don't think the North York Moors National Park area lumps in well with anywhere else: it's too isolated. So we've extended the Yorkshire Dales National Park to include the North Pennines (and implicitly the Central Pennines which mainly lie within the Park).

The Cheviots is a bit more of a grey area. I can see a case for a Cheviots/Northumberland National Park forum but they're also arguably part of the North Pennines (it's certainly where the Pennine Way starts or ends depending on your point of view) so I suggest people either post to Yorkshire Dales and North Pennines for now. When we're overwhelmed by the rush(!) we can look at this again. Also Scotland which could arguably be broken down into parts.

By pistolrider on 04/01/14 at 6:00pm

Yep! that's fine......and I totally agree about Scotland, such a massive area, such great hills.

If there are eventually so many posts for Scotland not only may you have to divide the area's up, you may have to change the name of the site. :lol:

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.