Happy New Year

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By pistolrider on 01/01/14 at 9:02am

Happy New Year to the 3 of us. :lol:

Would love to meet up with you two, in the Lakes (or anywhere where the ground is a bit lumpy) sometime in 2014, for a wee walk a few beers and a good old chin-wag.

By TallPaul on 01/01/14 at 11:03am

Happy New Year to the 3 of us. :lol:

And to you, although I have to dispute your "3". Did you see the amazing photos in this post yesterday from rockhopper?

Would love to meet up with you two, in the Lakes (or anywhere where the ground is a bit lumpy) sometime in 2014, for a wee walk a few beers and a good old chin-wag.

Yes, I have a suspicion that WalkLakes meets may become a part of the furniture here as time goes on (although as you'll gather from the relative size of our hill stats my favourite way to get my leisure is ... whisper it ... at sea rather than up a hill; for example here's some photos from my favourite trip last season).

By pistolrider on 01/01/14 at 11:49am

OK mate! we 4!!!! :lol:

Great photo's from "Rockhopper". Great area of Scotland, so wild and remote.

And funnily enough, Scotland's best caving.

By rockhopper on 05/01/14 at 12:32am

Happy New Year to all of you ! Came across this site only recently and thought I'd try to add some reports to the Scottish section. Cheers :)

By pistolrider on 05/01/14 at 8:38am

Welcome aboard Rockhopper. Look forward to some more reports from the Highlands.

I spent loads of time Munroe bashing, when I was in the RAF. I like my Munroe's a bit remote, I remember walking from Poolewe to Dundonald over two day's. Did A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor, and then back to Carnmore Bothy. The next day did Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgurr Ban, Beinn A'Chlaidhimh and out past Shenavall Bothy. Two absolutely epic days.

I'm disappointed that Beinn A'Chlaidheimh is no longer categorised as a Munroe. I think it's been re-measured and found to be 6" short of the magic 3000ft mark.

By TallPaul on 05/01/14 at 10:12am

By 44cm, see our Beinn a'Chlaidheimh page.

I've always had rather mixed feeling about this: the Munro list was always far less precisely defined than later lists in that he made no attempt to specify the required drop, hence the Munro v. Munro Top issue. The SMC takes hills off both lists (see also Sgurr nan Ceannaichean which is now a Corbett but was a Munro Top until the SMC demoted it in 2009). If I was a bagger and I'd struggled up either of these I'd be a bit pissed off to discover the SMC had no effectively taken my prize off me.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.