Downloading GPX

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By wildcumbria on 07/01/14 at 9:32pm

Hello, After downloading GPX walks to Samsung mobile, when trying to open file, 'cannot open file' is displayed? It works fine on ipad and downloads straight to viewranger. I have viewranger on my phone but it doesn't seem to recognise the file? any ideas

Cheer Steve

By beth on 07/01/14 at 10:31pm

Hi Steve. After some scratching around and playing with our phones it appears that Viewranger on Android doesn't set up associations to allow you to download gpx files directly. It does on Apple. You have to download the route on your PC then upload to your Viewranger account and save it - we recommend you make sure the "share" option says "private". On the phone go into the Viewranger menu, then Organizer, and click Syncronize. It should then appear in your list of Routes.

HTH Beth

By wildcumbria on 08/01/14 at 6:54pm

Thank you Beth,

This worked brilliant. Legend

Many many thanks Steve

By pistolrider on 09/01/14 at 4:00pm

Just a thought Steve!

As phones are not quite as waterproof as GPSr's designed for the outdoors, a small zip-lock bag is very useful for keeping your Samsung nice and dry, should the heavens open.

Jim

By wildcumbria on 09/01/14 at 10:08pm

Good idea pistolrider

Regards Steve

By nawaz on 30/10/14 at 11:11am

Hello, After downloading GPX walks to Samsung mobile, when trying to open file, 'cannot open file' is displayed? It works fine on ipad and downloads straight to viewranger. I have viewranger on my phone but it doesn't seem to recognise the file? any ideas

Nawaz

By TallPaul on 30/10/14 at 11:22am

I think Beth's previous comment may be relevant here. She said:

Hi Steve. After some scratching around and playing with our phones it appears that Viewranger on Android doesn't set up associations to allow you to download gpx files directly. It does on Apple. You have to download the route on your PC then upload to your Viewranger account and save it - we recommend you make sure the "share" option says "private". On the phone go into the Viewranger menu, then Organizer, and click Syncronize. It should then appear in your list of Routes.

By beth on 30/10/14 at 11:49am

You can also import it on the phone, this page explains: http://support.viewranger.com/wikihelp/index.php?title=Android:GPX_in_ViewRanger.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.