Logging Hills

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By digby on 02/07/14 at 1:51pm

It would make logging hills somewhat easier if one could open links in a new window from the Hills map. Otherwise you have to keep finding that page again and zooming in again. If you've come to the site new, with quite a few hills already ascended, it's quite laborious logging them.
In any case it would be a good feature if you want to browse different hills from the map. Great site that looks good though.

ps I've just discovered the 'update' page!

By digby on 28/07/14 at 10:21am

Nobody? Having just done the Kentmere Horseshoe race, I'm not sure I can be bothered to go through the laborious process needed to log all the Wainrights on it using the map facility! And that is what you have to use if you don't know which hills are Wainrights.

By TallPaul on 28/07/14 at 10:47am

Is this because we've disabled right click on http://www.walklakes.co.uk/lakes_hills.html (so you can't open the hill page in a new window). Is that what you mean?

Edit 11:16 Well, assuming that it is, I've enabled right click in that context so you can now click on a hill so you get the popup with its name in and then right click on the name and open the hill page in a new window to log it. That seems like a useful change anyway but if it's not what you were looking for then come back to us.

By digby on 30/07/14 at 11:13am

Yes that's it! That way you don't lose the zoomed in map.

By IanL on 16/08/15 at 11:37am

Is this because we've disabled right click on http://www.walklakes.co.uk/lakes_hills.html (so you can't open the hill page in a new window). Is that what you mean?

Edit 11:16 Well, assuming that it is, I've enabled right click in that context so you can now click on a hill so you get the popup with its name in and then right click on the name and open the hill page in a new window to log it. That seems like a useful change anyway but if it's not what you were looking for then come back to us.

I've been trying this: click on a hill, then right-click on the name but the right-click doesn't work.... Only straight click which does as usual, opening in the same window. Sad... :?

By TallPaul on 17/08/15 at 10:00am

Thanks for the report. It looks like we lost this functionality when we moved to some new, more lightweight, map drawing software a little while ago. I've now re-enabled right click on the hill page and all other pages where a map is displayed (except in the GPS Mapping app where we use right click within the application).

N.B. You may need to do a shift-reload before this change comes into effect as your browser is likely to cache the JavaScript code for a little while otherwise.

By Ejuk on 07/11/15 at 8:59am

Hi Tall Paul,

Another neat feature would be the ability to have a single click option to say you have completed one of the walks and this would automatically log the hills in your log book. I have not found an option to do this, have I missed it or is it something you could add to the functionality of this excellent website?

Ej

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.