high tops

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By shane1974 on 16/03/15 at 12:43pm

Hi im keeping watch on the weather websites, but i was just wondering what are the conditions underfoot on the high tops over 800m, are they still covered in a deep layer of snow or is it more a sprinkling now? im just asking around as im confident enough for a light cobvering but nothing any more than that!!

thanks

By TallPaul on 16/03/15 at 12:57pm

i was just wondering what are the conditions underfoot on the high tops over 800m, are they still covered in a deep layer of snow or is it more a sprinkling now?

The fell top assessors are the people who know, they go up Helvellyn to check conditions, take photos and supply a report December through March to Weatherline. See our Lake District Weather Forecasts page for more details and links.

im just asking around as im confident enough for a light cobvering but nothing any more than that!! thanks

Hmmm ... well I see that Weatherline currently says that it's still dubious at high levels and you do need to know what you're doing and have the right kit i.e. crampons and ice ace. There's layers of snow of different age and compactness, which can be "interesting". I think I'd avoid at the moment given your stated skills.

By beth on 16/03/15 at 5:53pm

Hi Shane. The high fells, Skidda, Helvellyn, etc still have a good covering and it is still full winter up there. Middling fells like Catbells are clear and may offer you a more pleasant day. Beth.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.