Walk up Scafell

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By CarlandHay on 06/08/15 at 2:13pm

Afternoon everyone, hoping to get up to the Lakes and get some walking done in a couple of weeks time with my wife. We have walked Scafell Pike before and fancied doing Scafell to add to the bagged list. I have checked the walk for Scafell via Scafell Pike and Foxes Tarn which seems best suited to us as my wife is not a big fan of scrambling and this looks the easiest route for her unless somebody can advise us of another route? any advice is welcome. May i also thank you for your many routes and walk descriptions which has helped us immensely when planning our trips to the Lakes, kind regards Carl & Hayley.

By beth on 06/08/15 at 2:54pm

Hello, Lords Rake is another but given she doesn't like scrambling I'd avoid that. The Foxes Tarn route is certainly the easiest, and to be honest is a pleasant clamber rather than a scramble. From Mickledore to the gully is steep down and a bit loose. This is probably the most disconcerting bit. Then as you climb the gully there's mostly a micro-zigzag path up it with a couple of rocky steps. Easy in the dry, but in and after rain they'll be running water which she might not like. There's very little sensation of exposure as you climb the gully. Then after the little tarn, I think fix the fells cleared the stone pitched path from under the scree so that'll be easy all the way to Scafell.

Enjoy, it's a lovely route.

By CarlandHay on 09/08/15 at 2:30pm

Thanks for your reply. Going up next week so will do Scafell via foxes tarn and hopefully weather permitting get the Mosedale Horseshoe as well.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.