Unlogging hills

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By digby on 13/05/16 at 11:01am

I accidentally logged a set of hills. I can remove them in the 'statistics' window. But I logged Fairfield twice on two different dates, one of which is erroneous (the earlier one). The tick is greyed out so I can't unlog it. Neither one nor both. You can log a hill on its own page but not unlog it.

By TallPaul on 13/05/16 at 2:07pm

Ah, OK. The problem is that if you reduce the number of times you've summited a hill below the number of dated times you've done so then the code doesn't know which one to delete. For now the easy fix is for me to do it by hand by poking the database with a stick so I've done that and you should now only be seeing your later visit.

By digby on 15/05/16 at 8:45am

Thanks! If you ever get the time, the whole logging thing could do with being easier! eg log and unlog on a hill page. Tickboxes to log the hills on a route (but separate in case you don't do all the hills or mix routes). Add the ability to log a hill in the 'Log book - walk statistics' window where you have a window showing unclimbed hills and a list. Add the ability to edit/add dates. The navigation is baffling since the various logging pages aren't in the menu tabs, or explained on the stats page. If you click on 'classification' on the stats page you get a useful map and an uneditable list. If you click 'update' you get an editable list but no map! Why not combine the two?

Lovely site otherwise though!

By TallPaul on 16/05/16 at 6:03pm

Thanks! If you ever get the time, the whole logging thing could do with being easier! eg log and unlog on a hill page.

That's a good idea. So you would have a popup showing all the instances when you'd topped the hill and you could edit it from there. I'll accept that as an enhancement.

Tickboxes to log the hills on a route1 (but separate in case you don't do all the hills or mix routes).

Do you mean route (where you're going) or track2 (where you've been)? I ask as we've already added that ability for tracks but it's currently only enabled for supporters. See here for details.

But if you think a similar facility for a route would be useful then it shouldn't be too hard for us to add.

Add the ability to log a hill in the 'Log book - walk statistics' window where you have a window showing unclimbed hills and a list. Add the ability to edit/add dates. The navigation is baffling since the various logging pages aren't in the menu tabs, or explained on the stats page. If you click on 'classification' on the stats page you get a useful map and an uneditable list. If you click 'update' you get an editable list but no map! Why not combine the two?

All noted. I'm acutely aware that the hill logging needs re-visiting. It's already on the list for when things calm down a bit here.

Lovely site otherwise though!

Ta :)

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By SheepFarmer on 07/01/20 at 5:16pm

I’ve just noticed the same problem with quite a few entries in my log book Hill Stats, but duplicated dates that have got there some how. For example with Bow Fell in my log book it says I topped it on 13/09/18 & 13/09/18. Plus looking at Hill data for Bow Fell when not logged in it says - In our forum you can read the following walk reports which include this hill:

13/09/18 - SheepFarmer - Pike of Bliscoe, Bowfell & Crinkle Crags with cloud 13/09/18 - SheepFarmer - Pike of Bliscoe, Bowfell & Crinkle Crags with cloud

I’m assuming there is a certain distance, drop or time difference that the system requires to log separate visits to a top. And unless I’m missing something it’s still down to you & your stick to fix, but could uploading the same GPX track under different names cause this or although you answered me here https://www.walklakes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=728#p1624 that previous logged tops are excluded have they always been ?

By TallPaul on 08/01/20 at 11:23am

Looking through the database I found 89 duplicates - almost all being you and Lancashire Lad - but there's nothing later than December 2018 so I suspect it was a bug in the old forum software for walk reports where you are two of the most prolific posters.

I've now removed the duplicates so that, if you look at Bowfell for example, your walk reports only appear once.

Anyway, thanks for spotting this issue and letting us know.

By SheepFarmer on 08/01/20 at 4:19pm

It's good to know that there was something wrong & I'm not being a total fool & nuisance and after suffering from a 'computer says no' from a telecoms company despite physical evidence to the contrary for 2 years, it's so nice to get the human touch of someone who quickly checks & fixes things when there is a problem, which earns you a 5 star rating from me for service.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.