Scafell Pike

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By julianed on 28/05/16 at 8:36am

Hi all, I'm travelling up to the lakes for the first time in many years next week, accompanied by my 10 year old daughter, with hope of tackling the corridor route from Seathwaite. We've done plenty of research, and feel that we will be well prepared and equipped. I was her age when my father and i twice reached the summit of Snowden, both times taking in the horseshoe route and Crib Goch. I've since had a third trip up as an adult via the Pyg track. My experience since is of some shorter walks in the Lakes having also managed the Old Man of Coniston on a couple of occasions. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated, but also any recommendation for a shorter less challenging walk for us to look forward to the day before our main aim ??? Many thanks, Julian Dimock (and daughter Lydia), travelling from West Norfolk. Yes, I know, couldn't be more different.......!

By beth on 28/05/16 at 10:27am

I can't really give you words of encouragement, as I don't know you or your daughter, only you can decide if you are both able to accomplish the route and enjoy it. That said, with the exception of the 'bad step' on the Corridor Route there are no difficulties to the same extent as Crib Goch on the route. The step is a relatively simple scramble down, well marked by the passage of boots, and with a ledge at the bottom. Although the path can also be exposed in places where you would not want to slip, such sections are not necessarily avoidable. Given that walk's linear nature you can at least decide to turn back if something is too much.

I'd recommend looking at the https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walks_rosthwaite.html page for inspiration of other walks in the area. And perhaps having a rest the day before so you both start fresh and ready for what is a long day ahead.

By julianed on 09/06/16 at 7:35pm

Good evening Beth, Been back 5 days now from the trip that you kindly offered guidance on. I'm happy to tell you that we took your advice, and rested on the Thursday following our long trip north on the Wednesday, save for a leisurely 7 mile walk exploring the Borrowdale valley along the River Derwent. What a stunningly beautiful place. I'm pleased also to be able to tell you that, enjoying fabulous weather on the Friday, my daughter and I completed the corridor route ascent to the summit of Scarfel Pike. A thoroughly satisfying experience for us both. It tested us both, but we were so pleased that we did it. Can't wait to return. Many thanks, Julian.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.