Seeking advice for or first walking tour

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By Mkorn on 05/06/16 at 4:28pm

We are a group of six 60-ish adventurers from upstate New York planning a trip to England in July 2017. We would like to do a walking tour that takes us to many pubs through the Lake District. There are so many options and we would like some recommendations as to what type of tour to arrange. We prefer to stay in new accommodations each night on the tour and would like to see the countryside but also typical English villages. Grasmere, Ambleside and Windemere are places of interest. Is it best to arrange a tour through a group or set up walks and lodgings on our own. If we do this on our own, are there luggage transport services? Where can we get some reviews or suggestions from people who have been on the walks? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as we start our planning.

By Annabellina on 07/08/16 at 1:54am

Hi - I've just found this website and seen your message.

The SherpaVan project will help you develop an itinerary and they carry your luggage from accommodation to accommodation. I have not used them myself but I know they are very popular and we will use them when we do the Wainwright Coast to Coast next year. YOur choices of area are famous and can be extremely, claustrophobically busy. While they are very worth visiting I would highly recommend the quiter West of Cumbria, maybe starting south with Wastwater at wild Wasdale (fab pub here) and Scarfell, Great Gable etc and then moving Northwards. particularly the North WEst, Buttermere , Crummock water and the ravishing and very quiet Loweswater. You have the joy there of the Kirkstile Inn. Ennerdale Water 'just' over the fells is remote and marvellous and its village Ennerdale Bridge has two pubs. The towns of Keswick and Cockermouth are lovely and typical with lots of good places to eat and many attractions. Enjoy your trip.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.