Helvellyn walk for a determined newbie

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By general-lee25 on 04/03/17 at 10:22am

Hi folks,

I'm usually a runner, but I'm planning some walking to enjoy some of our fabulous countryside and also blow some cobwebs off. I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches to a very lengthy and exhausting thesis that has taken up the last twelve months so am looking forward to some adventures. I've planned a couple of nights in Penrith at the beginning of April, and I wanted to do a lone walk around Ullwater/Helvellyn on a week day.

I am quite a fit guy, but as a beginner I want to make sure this is safe and I don't have mountain rescue out looking for me! I don't think the full Helvellyn walk would be advisable for me at this stage as I will be on my own and as I get to grips with maps etc, but I wondered if seasoned walkers out there could suggest a challenge for me that might allow me to do a little scrambling, see some peaks and also get me out for the best part of the day.

Thank you

Dan

By SheepFarmer on 07/03/17 at 8:13am

Here's a route for you, with Swirral Edge giving you adventure / scrambling

It's a combination of part of one I did (not posted yet) via Striding edge to Helvellyn & down the bridal path and part "Lancashire Lads -(viewtopic.php?f=2&t=445#p824) Helvellyn (via Swirral Edge), Raise, etc. (from Glenridding)" walk, plus a plotted link. I've put my start in, but Lancashire Lads end as it's further in than mine to show options, there is also the big pay car park in Glenridding. The route out from Glenridding is the Mires Beck path - Birkhouse Moor - Hole in the Wall - Red Tarn - Swirral edge - Helvellyn - H's Lower Man - Whiteside Bank - Raise - Sticks Pass - Greenside Road. However there are options/get outs - from Red Tarn the Red Beck path back from ridge top East over Catstye Cam then Red Beck path rather than Swirral Edge from Whiteside the bridal path down and across Glenridding Common plus the optional addition of out & back to cairn on Birkhouse Moor for view or if you want to push things up & over Catstye Cam before Swirral. The distance as plotted is 10.1 miles, Ignore the time produced by the uploaded route as it's wrong, but if you plot it on this sites maps it will give you a suggested moving time.

By general-lee25 on 14/03/17 at 12:46pm

Very much appreciated. I now have a walking buddy coming with me, so perhaps a bit of scrambling will be a bit safer and just as fun. Thanks again. Dan

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.