Recommendations for Circular Walk Great Gable ans Haystacks

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By MTBQueen on 06/09/18 at 5:56pm

Hi walkers, I am currently planning a walking trip with my 11 year old daughter to the Lake District. One thing we wanted to do is a circular walk whith an overnight stay at the Black Sail Youth Hostel. I thought it might be nice to do Haystacks and Great Gable on that round trip. So I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a nice walk. As it has been more then 18 years since I have last been walking in the Lake District and I can hardly remember anything but the beatiful landscape. My daughter is very fit and used to hill walking in the Bavarian and South Tyrolian Alps and is able to walk up to 1000 meters ascent and 6 hours a day.I think the challenge for her will be the weather condtions. So I would be happy about your recommendations, also if you have other tips for walks with kids in the region. Looking forward to your recommenations. Thanks!

By beth on 07/09/18 at 11:09am

You could stay at Black Sail for 2 nights and do a round of Haystack, Brandreth, Green Gable, Great Gable, Kirk Fell and back down Black Sail pass to the hostel. That's near your criteria. Or if you really only want one night then something like Gatesgarth Farm in Borrowdale, Haystacks, Brandreth, Green Gable, Great Gable, and miss out Kirk Fell by taking the traverse path around it and down to the hostel. Which comes in at approx 1100m of ascent.

By SheepFarmer on 07/09/18 at 1:26pm

When you say kids are you referring to more than just your daughter & if so what capabilities ? A good top near what Beth suggested is Dale Head, from Honister Hause for the easy way, or as part of a couple of rounds for a hard full day for a future year with your daughter.

By MTBQueen on 08/09/18 at 9:58am

Thanks for your tips. With kids I was only referring to my daughter. I like your ideas and I might consider staying another night at Black Sail hut. Thanks

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.