Unbelievable !!!

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By Lancashire Lad on 26/06/20 at 4:14pm (last edited 26/06/20 at 4:19pm)

I've just seen this: -

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/18543257.entire-tent-suitcase-containing-towels-socks-left-near-lake-district-tarn/

Earlier this afternoon I had made this comment elsewhere, relating to similar recent incidents:-

"I witnessed instances of Littering and use of disposable berbeques in woodland near Ullswater in the Lake District on Wednesday.
By the time I'd finished my walk, I'd collected half a bag of litter, mainly single use plastic drinks bottles.

It saddens me deeply that an increasing number of people who visit these beautiful places treat them with so much contempt.
I've always picked up litter whenever I've been fell-walking, but over recent years it seems to have increased disproportionately.
This year in particular, presumably due to the Covid-19 situation, and with many people who wouldn't otherwise visit such places having plenty of time on their hands, from what I'm seeing in such reports it seems to be completely out of control.
I don't know how this sort of behavior can be stopped. - I doubt very much whether appealing to the better nature of such people will have any effect whatsoever. They have no respect for nature or the environment in general".

Actually, I am saddened and incensed in equal measure.
The mindset of this sort of person is completely beyond my comprehension.

Regards,
Mike.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.