Emojis not working in posts

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By euant on 06/09/20 at 9:29am

I just typed up a walk report from my iPad and used it's emoji keyboard to insert some smiley faces, and they've resulted in broken formatting as can be seen here: https://www.walklakes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=771#p1718

This is likely because emojis are multi-byte Unicode characters and the database fields need to use the right collation (e.g. utf8mb4 in MySQL).

By TallPaul on 06/09/20 at 9:30am

Did it look right in the preview?

By euant on 06/09/20 at 9:33am (last edited 06/09/20 at 9:34am)

Yep:

Also noticed that that same report isn't showing any details of my track - the page gives me an option to choose the tops when I add the GPX and shows me the details, but they disappear when saved.

PS: that was a quick response! You must have been waiting for someone to post :lol:

By TallPaul on 06/09/20 at 9:39am

PS: that was a quick response! You must have been waiting for someone to post :lol:

Heh, been at my desk for an hour already. Lots to do.

Anyway I'll investigate, and thanks for the pointer to utf8mb4

By TallPaul on 08/09/20 at 2:08pm

Also noticed that that same report isn't showing any details of my track1 - the page gives me an option to choose the tops when I add the GPX and shows me the details, but they disappear when saved.

I'm not sure what happened there but I have manually patched the info in the database and that walk report now shows all the information in the header.

Now to look at emojis.

1. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.