Adventure Smart

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By SheepFarmer on 08/01/21 at 1:34pm

I think it's time you added https://www.adventuresmart.uk/ to your list of safety resources, since you & MRT are referring it.

By TallPaul on 09/01/21 at 9:51am (last edited 09/01/21 at 10:23am)

Well ... we do, but only because MRT do. To be honest I'm not a great fan as it's not a great site and It doesn't render very well on a desktop browser. I assumed it was because it optimised for mobile but poorly supporting desktop but I just checked and nope, it's even worse on mobile. For example this is how their home page currently renders on an Android phone (also checked in iPhone, it's similar):

So the top logo and burger menu are bleeding over the text. They have lost the words:

Be AdventureSmart during the Covid-19 Outbreak

Follow government guidelines

Guidelines for England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland differ

Check government websites for the area you are visiting & comply with them

Know your limits

Stick to activities and locations [which are within your comfort zone]

So the key message of the site ... can't be seen as you can't scroll up to there.

It doesn't get much better either. If you scroll down you run into this on mobile (this bit at least is better on desktop):

... where the start of the next section is bleeding over:

If it looks busy it's too busy, be prepared to change your plans & find somewhere less crowded

Stay 2 m away from others at all times, sanitise your hands frequently & avoid touching gates, stiles etc

I had been assuming they knew about this but I'm thinking I should dig out a contact email address and mail them. I'll do that now.

By TallPaul on 09/01/21 at 10:47am (last edited 09/01/21 at 10:47am)

Further investigation by Beth and me suggests that it renders fine on a full screen desktop browser (so for the typical Windows user) but if you have a reduced height browser or are on mobile it doesn't render well. Anyway I've now mailed the web site owners.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.