Is it possible to edit an imported TRACK.GPX file?

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By geoffmozz on 26/06/21 at 9:46am

Is there a way to edit a TRACK GPX file within the route planner, or does a 'track' need to be converted to a 'route' before loading to the WalkLakes planner?

I just had a quick play. The 'route.gpx' file I imported was fully editable. An imported 'track.gpx' file displayed, but the trackpoints weren't available to move. I couldn't quickly see a way to edit the displayed 'track.gpx' file or convert it....so it could be edited.

As usual, all help gratefully received.

By TallPaul on 26/06/21 at 10:43am (last edited 26/06/21 at 10:45am)

Yes it is. Load your track2. Then click the "route mode" button so it changes to "track mode".

A yellow marker will appear at the start of your track. Use the scroll wheel to move to where you want to edit, or click on the point you want to edit (but it's normally the start or end in my experience). Now click the right mouse button and a dialogue box appears thus (assuming you've not done this before):

As the dialogue box says now proceed as follows:

Right clicking deletes the current walker position from the track (and ctrl+right click restores it). Do you want to enter start editing?

Click on the 'Yes' button and off you go.

You can stop this dialogue appearing every time by checking the " Don't show this popup again" checkbox before clicking on "Yes".

However you cannot move track points which you also talk about doing. To do that you will need to convert the track to a route1 using a text editor or external tool but be warned that there is a limit to how many points can appear in a route so the software may re-sample when you load the converted track.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By geoffmozz on 27/06/21 at 4:45pm (last edited 27/06/21 at 4:46pm)

Thank you...

Can you tell me what the max number of waypoints is, beyond which the software will re-sample a loaded route?

How does it re-sample? Delete every other waypoint or something else?

By TallPaul on 27/06/21 at 5:45pm

Actually I'm misremembering and confusing two issues.

There is a limit in the software where it won't allow you to add more than 500 waypoints to a route1, however it will let you load one ...but you won't be able to edit it afterwards, only display it.

There is also a feature when loading any track2 where the software re-samples it to drop any track point recorded less than ten seconds after the last one. From memory I think we added this because someone had problems with a track and it turned out their GPS had thrown a wobbly and was logging the location at least once a second.

Anyway for your issue you might like to consider doing it another way: load the track and then trace the route over the bits of the track you want to use, correcting as you go ...

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By geoffmozz on 27/06/21 at 6:53pm (last edited 27/06/21 at 6:53pm)

I've just been playing and converted one of my real tracks to a route.gpx file using the alltrails converter. It produced a route with 1461 waypoints. As you said...it displays fine in the WalkLakes planner but is uneditable. Attempts to move anything summon the '500 points max' popup box.

Thanks for your help :-)

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.