Scafell Route Recommendation and Advice

Forum » General Forums » General discussion

By leedrich on 18/03/17 at 1:00pm

Hi, I'm planning my next hiking trip to Scarfel using the route on this website, Great End, Scafell Pike, and Lingmell: a roundabout journey.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_162.html

I am a competent hiker, fit and know my way around. I know how to use a map and compass. I have a GPS and all the right kit.

Is there anyone who can tell me if they have taken this route? Any recommendations?

Also, I'm not a fan of sheer drops / ridges - heights are fine, but ridges are a test to my nerves! Does this route have any challenging sheer drops or very narrow overlooking places?

At the end of November last year I took the Rhyd-Ddu Path up Snowdon, whilst I enjoyed it thoroughly, there were moments crossing the top exposed ridges that tested me. Everything else was fine and that was in 2ft snow and descending in the dark without issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lee

By leedrich on 30/07/17 at 6:30pm

Hi, any advice?

By beth on 31/07/17 at 9:12am

I like the roundabout journey to Scafell Pike, it's a fine walk meandering walk which largely uses the 'easy way' to return. However, it does cross the boulder fields of Great End which some people don't like. My favourite is from Seathwaite via the Corridor Route but your nerves may not appreciate that one. Many people do "Scafell Pike - The Easy Way" because, well it's the simplest way up you can get, with no scrambling, narrow ridges, or other difficulties. Although its not the most inspiring mountain scenery.

https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_158.html

By leedrich on 18/08/17 at 11:33am

Thanks Beth, much appreciated.

I think I'm going to give it a go. Don't want anything too easy or busy!

Cheers for the advice.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.