Possible solution to map tile quotas

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By fxfocus on 06/01/17 at 10:40am

I've been using an android app called maverick for a few years now. I mainly use it for navigation on my mobile phone while out walking. It offers full coverage OS 1:50 and 1:25 maps and works well as a gps device. A year or two back the OS maps stopped working and for the longest time I couldn't find a way to fix this or even have any indication as to why. Eventually I came across this http://yorkramblers.org.uk/York/Maverick.pdf which solved the problem.

I'm wondering if this could be a solution for walklakes map. So each member would be using his/her personal licence quota. Since I added my licence info to maverick I have had no problems at all. Unfortunately I have no knowledge at all as to how to implement such a system but I assume the relevant expertise exists at the walklakes site.

By TallPaul on 06/01/17 at 12:18pm

That's interesting, however due to the way we use Bing mapping we don't currently have a problem with bouncing off their quota limits.

I'm concerned because I set the daily tile quota to 100,000 per user per day which is way more than I believe anyone is currently using (even you, and you're quite high in the league table at the moment ;) ).

Are you being restricted from accessing the Bing tiles when logged on? If you are we need to look at that code again.

By fxfocus on 11/01/17 at 9:26am

Not experienced any restrictions so far. I was reacting to some earlier threads I had read. Please let me know if I am using too much and I'll cut back. I did look at making a donation but ran into two problems, at least for me. First I don't want to open a paypal account. Second I'm not keen on setting up a regular automatic repeating donation. I could though make a simple (and free) bank transfer given your account details. You can send your account details via private email if you prefer.

By TallPaul on 11/01/17 at 9:58am

Not experienced any restrictions so far. I was reacting to some earlier threads I had read. Please let me know if I am using too much and I'll cut back.

Don't worry: due to the way they count usage it's currently pretty much impossible to use too many Bing tiles as they count sessions, not tiles used.

I did look at making a donation but ran into two problems, at least for me. First I don't want to open a paypal account. Second I'm not keen on setting up a regular automatic repeating donation. I could though make a simple (and free) bank transfer given your account details. You can send your account details via private email if you prefer.

Thanks. OK, well first things first: you don't need a PayPal account to make payments to us as they will just take your credit card without you having to set up an account - so if you use it that way it's just like using any other card processing company.

Having said that if you want to send us a donation directly via bank transfer that's nice too. You can find our details online here.

If you want to become a "supporter", which gives you early access to new facilities like these and some more we're working on at the moment (some new layers) then if you're willing to donate at least £11 per year we'll add you as a supporter (and I'll add a reminder to my diary to email you in a year - I'm already doing that for a couple of other supporters who didn't want to use the recurring payment option).

By fxfocus on 11/01/17 at 3:37pm

It's true you don't need a paypal account to make a one off payment using your credit card via paypal. But my understanding is that you cannot set up a recurring payment without an account and this seems to be born out by these words which crop up during your payment process "You need a PayPal account for this purchase."

I have set up an automatically recurring payment of £11 via bank transfer, this has the advantage of incurring no charges to the best of my knowledge. Although this may differ for business accounts. Payment date is 12 January but may be some delay before reaching your account.

Lastly I'd like to thank you and anyone else involved for publishing a great website worth more than I'm paying but as a pensioner I'm just glad it's a price I can afford.

Thanks again Ed.

By TallPaul on 11/01/17 at 4:31pm

It's true you don't need a paypal account to make a one off payment using your credit card via paypal. But my understanding is that you cannot set up a recurring payment without an account and this seems to be born out by these words which crop up during your payment process "You need a PayPal account for this purchase."

Oh yes, good point, I was forgetting.

I have set up an automatically recurring payment of £11 via bank transfer, this has the advantage of incurring no charges to the best of my knowledge. Although this may differ for business accounts. Payment date is 12 January but may be some delay before reaching your account.

Super, and I've added you as a supporter. You will be getting our standard email confirming that in a couple of minutes.

By Lancashire Lad on 11/01/17 at 4:56pm

Hi Paul / Ed.

I just spotted the above posts, which are of some personal interest to me.

Paul, I don't know if you have changed things very recently, but certainly when I tried to sign up as a supporter via Paypal, I was unable to do so without setting up a Paypal account. As Ed mentions, this was a requirement due to the automatically recurring annual payment provision within the specific Walk Lakes transaction.

(You may recollect that I emailed you not long after I became a supporter last year, to say that I'd had numerous problems with the Paypal account that I'd had to set up specifically for that purpose).

Therefore, I'd be very grateful if you would add me to your email list for those who prefer not to use PayPal's recurring payment option.

I would very much like to continue as a supporter when my current 12-months payment expires. - However, I just couldn't get any reasonable response from Paypal in respect of some "unspecified problems due to recent account activity" which they had said had occurred on my newly set up account. I eventually got so frustrated with their nonsense that I terminated my account with them.

I'd be more than happy to make individual, non-repeating annual payments by Paypal, (i.e. payments which don't actually need to be made via an actual Paypal account), or by cheque, or indeed by any other method of your choice that doesn't require setting up an account with the payment company in question.

I Echo Ed's sentiments exactly, and would say to anyone that this is a great site and well worth the very reasonable annual cost of becoming a supporter.

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 11/01/17 at 6:59pm

OK, no problem. PayPal is just a bit less admin for us as it emails us when someone cancels their recurring payment or it doesn't work.

We already have a couple of supporters who have used the PayPal one off payment system via credit card and I've got a diary action to ask them in 12 months if they want to continue as a supporter but actually I prefer Ed's solution of using a standing order. That way I still have to check we've received payment but I don't have to hassle the supporter every year.

So, if that suits you, then our bank details are here and I see your renewal date is 1st September so if you sent up a standing order for £11 to be paid on 1st September each year then that will work nicely.

And thank you for your support!

By Lancashire Lad on 11/01/17 at 9:03pm

OK Paul, thanks for that.

I'll sort out a standing order as you mention.

Best regards, Mike.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.