Track Maximum Speed

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By TallPaul on 21/07/18 at 7:58pm

We've added a new field to the track1 statistics box to show maximum speed, in both mph and kph as usual.

I'm not sure this will be of much interest to walkers but it will be to other users of our mapping software such as runners, cyclists, and boaters. Here for example you can see it being shown on screen shot of a track for a cycle ride where the moving average speed was 13.6mph but the maximum was 21.4mph.

As usual any feedback will be welcome based on your experience of using it.

Similarly if you have any ideas for any other additional statistics we could usefully extract from the raw track data.

1. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By SheepFarmer on 22/07/18 at 7:17am

When we plot walks it gives us the Naismith time & your walks also have it as min time, but could we have it also on any we upload personally & to the reports to make it easier to compare them all as a standard across everything. I can currently do it by exporting from this site then converting to route in basecamp, then uploading it back here, but it's a long winded way.

Plus currently looking at an imported track I have 2 different ave.speeds I'm assuming that the 2nd is the moving average but perhaps a better labeling would be in order say overall ave. & moving ave.

By SheepFarmer on 22/07/18 at 10:52am

Re the second part of my response, the average speeds are more obviously differentiated on the screen shot on your post than they are for my tracks, its the extra blank lines that make a difference.

By TallPaul on 22/07/18 at 10:58am

Ah, I don't think you're picking up the new CSS. Try doing a force reload (probably done by holding down shift while clicking on reload) of https://www.walklakes.co.uk/maps/style.css to clear the old version from your cache.

If the last entry there isn't table.track-data td.data{padding-left:.6em} then it's still using the old version.

By SheepFarmer on 22/07/18 at 1:50pm

Clearing the browsing data sorted it, should have thought on before posting 2nd reply. But my comment about Naismith time stands.

By TallPaul on 24/07/18 at 9:29am

When we plot walks it gives us the Naismith time & your walks also have it as min time, but could we have it also on any we upload personally & to the reports to make it easier to compare them all as a standard across everything. I can currently do it by exporting from this site then converting to route1 in basecamp, then uploading it back here, but it's a long winded way.

I'm not entirely clear what you're asking for here. Are you looking for the Naismith time to displayed in the "Your Track" box when you upload a track2 to the mapping application or it to be shown in the walk report header in the forum (assuming that you have entered figures for "Ascent" and "Distance") ... or both?

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By TallPaul on 24/07/18 at 9:59am

Having talked about this with Beth we think it's worth adding Naismith to the "Your Track" box in the mapping application so I've done that. See example below:

By TallPaul on 24/07/18 at 10:17am

And I've also added it to all the walk reports, so here's a recent one for example:

The harder thing to do, which Beth's suggested we try to add, is for us to populate all these fields from any GPX you upload to the walk report (overwriting any data you've entered yourself already). That one sadly is rather harder to do but it's something for me to think about.

By Lancashire Lad on 24/07/18 at 11:09am

We now have headers for "Time Taken", and "Naismith".

Naismith is an average based (as I've always understood it), on continuously moving. It does not take into account any "stops" for lunch, sightseeing, taking photographs, detouring around problematical terrain, difficult conditions such as snow, etc. etc. (Some walks, certainly in my experience, involve a lot more stopping and starting than others),

On a personal level, and because Naismith does not take those "stopped time" parameters into account, I would prefer to see a header for the actual "Moving Time" for the walk. As well as Total Time, I always log the moving time, and was thinking of requesting it as an addition for WalkLakes walk reports - so here's as good an opportunity as any, to do so.

If it were possible to change the current wording from "Time Taken" to "Total Time", and have an additional header for "Moving Time" before the "Naismith" line, then all bases would be covered.

We would then be able to see a more relevant comparison between our moving time and Naismith, having taken out the various stops for lunch / photography, etc.

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 24/07/18 at 11:33am

Thanks Mike

Adding an extra field for you to enter "Moving Time" shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll add it to the list.

If and when I can get the software to extract walk data from the uploaded GPX (as discussed above) I will be able to populate that field automagically but for now importing it into the mapping application and then copying across will have to do.

By SheepFarmer on 01/08/18 at 12:07pm

Paul, you have done what I was wanting with adding the Naismith time to walk reports & tracks, so thank you.

And Mike, I know that Naismith is an average but one needs a standard baseline to compare walks from different people who have totally different walking speeds & stopping times. With it and my own recorded stats helps in the planning of future walks, in terms of what one can cope with & fit into any time restrictions. Plus having the moving time that you wanted & the other data fields all helps with the accuracy in planning new or using other peoples walks, so thank you for that idea.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.