Your GPX uploads and downloads

A place for supporters to talk with WalkLakes.

Re: Your GPX uploads and downloads

Postby SheepFarmer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:44 am

In my uploads its the routes Grassmoor round... plus Helvellyn & Catstye Cam... in the downloads its the route Preseli's that are the affected ones. All of my tracks that I've tried are OK.
SheepFarmer

Postby TallPaul » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 am

Hmmm ... I'm having problems re-producing this one. It's not happening with my own uploads and I can also load both of your uploaded routes if I sneak in the back way and take them straight off the server. I think it must be something to do with your set up. Can you PM me your password and I'll take a look? Ta.
TallPaul
Site Admin

Postby TallPaul » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:58 am

I think I've now fixed this. It was all down to your use of apostrophes, both in the names of waypoints (e.g. 'Footpath'9) and of routes (e.g. Preseli's). There's no reason why you shouldn't do that, in either place, but we weren't handling it at all well.
TallPaul
Site Admin

Postby SheepFarmer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes they are working now. Thank you. It's always the little things that get us :)
SheepFarmer

Postby Alice Thong » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:22 am

New to the site and hopefully in the right area????
We uploaded a walk to our etrex 25 (Burnbank Fell) but when we started the walk there were too many waypoints on the walk so were unable to use it???? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Does anyone else have an etrex 25 that can offer advice/help?
Had a fab day walking Burnbank / Blake and Gavel Fell.
Alice Thong

Postby TallPaul » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:50 am

Is this the eTrex Touch 25 you're talking about? Or some earlier model? That route only has 74 waypoints in it so I'd certainly expect it to load on the eTrex Touch 25. Unless its memory is full perhaps?

Screenshot_2018-11-02_09-49-23.png
TallPaul
Site Admin

Postby SheepFarmer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Paul,

I think what Alice is referring to is that routes displayed on Garmin units put a flag or pin marker at each point. Below are screen shots, Oregon 700 in landscape top & etrex 20 bottom of a route with just 26 points on it. As you get more points the markers obscure the line & surrounding map area, points 23 to 25 give you an idea.
356.jpg

289.jpg

Alice,

What I do is convert the routes into tracks, with basecamp for me but other methods are available I sure, as then you just get the line, you can still have them directing you just with a fixed direct point to point routing rather than the multiple options available when it's a route. An alternative is with just the track (converted route) I'm walking that day showing on screen in one colour & the current track (where I've just walked) also showing trailing out from ones current position in a different colour.
SheepFarmer

Previous

Return to Supporters