Uploading track will offer to update log book

Forum » General Forums » Supporters

By TallPaul on 21/12/15 at 3:31pm

This is what we're working on at the moment: when you upload a track recorded on your GPS the mapping application will (optionally) check the track for any tops you've passed over or near and then offer to update your log book.

Here's a screen shot of it running on our test system and it's how it looks just after the track has been loaded:

Screen Shot

This is a track of a walk Beth did in July 2013 around Scafell Pike (it's our walk Great End, Scafell Pike, and Lingmell: a roundabout journey) and you can see she topped Great End, Scafell and Scafell Pike but she also passed close to five other tops. So the popup top left lists all eight tops. The ones it thinks she actually summitted are checked (and are marked in red on the map), those it think she didn't are unchecked and marked in blue.

If she did actually summit Blunt Top (for example) then she can note that by either checking the box next to its name in the list (which changes the blue icon to red) or clicking on the blue icon on the map (which changes it to red and checks the box for her).

When she's happy with the list she clicks "Update" and it automagically updates her log book, recording which hills she topped and on what date, and it closes the popup.

By TallPaul on 12/01/16 at 11:00am

This is now enabled for supporters. Feedback welcome.

If you don't want it active then you can turn it off: click on the menu icon top left, select "Settings" and uncheck the box.

By ThinArthur on 19/06/16 at 7:42pm

TallPaul, I've been using this feature for a while now and it's great! Many thanks,

ThinArthur

n.b. before you think "ThinArthur" is a sycothantic play on "TallPaul" it is fact a reference to a character in a 1970s Australian tv show that I rather liked as a youngester (albeit I was far too young to properly understand it). See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aunty_Jack_Show

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.