Maps for GPS Recievers

Forum » General Forums » Supporters

By pistolrider on 02/04/16 at 7:50am

I am now a proud supporter of this great website, which most definitely has the best mapping and system for downloading routes to my GPS R anywhere on the internet (Paul........Hope you put that tenner in the post!!!!!)

Paul, I was wondering, if in the future you were thinking of offering maps of G.B. for our GPS units. I have mapping from Talkytoaster, which is now quite old (I got it, when it was free of charge, prior to some prats selling SD cards with the maps on them, on E-bay) and I was wondering if you could offer better quality mapping, I might even pay for it, somewhere in the region of......Three and thru 'pence ha' penny, sounds about right. :lol:

By TallPaul on 02/04/16 at 8:51am

I am now a proud supporter of this great website, which most definitely has the best mapping and system for downloading routes to my GPS R anywhere on the internet (Paul........Hope you put that tenner in the post!!!!!)

Yeah, hasn't it come yet? ;)

Paul, I was wondering, if in the future you were thinking of offering maps of G.B. for our GPS units. I have mapping from Talkytoaster, which is now quite old (I got it, when it was free of charge, prior to some prats selling SD cards with the maps on them, on E-bay) and I was wondering if you could offer better quality mapping, I might even pay for it, somewhere in the region of......Three and thru 'pence ha' penny, sounds about right. :lol:

I don't see much point in competing directly with Mr Talkytoaster's mapping offerings as they are very reasonably priced anyway (for the OpenStreetMap tiles).

We could, I suppose, offer a set of tiles for Garmin based on the same tiles we use for when users aren't logged in here or at http://openmaps.the-hug.net but we can't offer OS 1:50K or 1:25K map tiles like the ones you see when you're logged in here as we're not licensed for that.

By pistolrider on 03/04/16 at 7:50am

Thanks Paul, for that. I m pleased with Talkytoasters maps and they give enough detail, on my GPS R , especially when I have studied the route carefully then plotted and downloaded my route, from this site, to my unit. I just thought it would be nice to get the same detail, on the hill as I do sitting in front of my monitor. I kind of understand that OS would go mental, if they found out that you were using their info, for a purpose outside of your licence agreement.

I must say that although you and Talkytoaster are making me a very lazy navigator, I am now, due to the great work that you both do, able to enjoy my outdoor experience to a greater extent as I no longer have to have map in one hand and compass in the other, constantly referring to both, as I stumble around the hills.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.