Route profile scales & transport overlays.

Forum » General Forums » Supporters

By wintonian on 13/05/16 at 4:59pm

2 ideas,

Firstly, could we have a toggle (or joint scale) for the route profile so we can choose KM or miles for the distance scale. I find it a bit awkward when I have planned the route out in miles only to find my brain has to comprehend adjusting to KM in the profile. I guess the same could be said for the vertical scale (m/ft) but personally I'm happy using meters here.

Secondly how about the OSM transport overlay (http://www.thunderforest.com/maps/transport/)? It's far from complete and buses change notoriously quickly, though railway lines tend to hang around. It would be useful for determining which towns/ villages are likely to be linked, thus where to start/ end your walk - very useful when you want to get back without a taxi! However users would need to understand only to use it as guide/ starting point and the need to do further research.

By TallPaul on 16/05/16 at 5:22pm

Firstly, could we have a toggle (or joint scale) for the route profile so we can choose KM or miles for the distance scale. I find it a bit awkward when I have planned the route out in miles only to find my brain has to comprehend adjusting to KM in the profile. I guess the same could be said for the vertical scale (m/ft) but personally I'm happy using meters here.

Yeah, you're not unusual: I still think in miles horizontally but metres vertically. And my Garmin GPS is quite happy to display in that mix of units.

This is precisely the sort of customisation I think we should be offering supporters via the new "Settings" feature so I'll accept that as an enhancement.

Secondly how about the OSM transport overlay (http://www.thunderforest.com/maps/transport/)? It's far from complete and buses change notoriously quickly, though railway lines tend to hang around. It would be useful for determining which towns/ villages are likely to be linked, thus where to start/ end your walk - very useful when you want to get back without a taxi! However users would need to understand only to use it as guide/ starting point and the need to do further research.

Ah, bus stops. Yeah, that one is a nightmare. And the tiles Thunderforest are offering there illustrate this all too well as in a particular I know very well (as I use the buses there a lot) it's wrong. In fact it looks like it's relying on data from at least five years ago.

However there is an API we have had some success with, for buses at least, and we use it in the Lake District for the maps for our walks where we do show bus stops and links to a timetables site.

Anyway I think it's at least worth us adding to the wish list.

Thanks for the ideas.

By wintonian on 18/05/16 at 12:44pm

Yeh, I knew that last one would be difficult. However if/ when a solution becomes available it would be very, very useful I think, and not just here!

Mind you Liz Windsor of Buck House, apparently has had this to say today:

Local mayors to get power to improve bus services and London-style powers to franchise local services. Data on routes, fares and times to be made freely available (bus services bill)

Perhaps we can start crossing our fingers? :idea:

Ah yes, Traveline! Also I'm afraid a little inaccurate with there route maps (but much better). Particularly so when you consider a route that perhaps has a once a school day diversion/ extension. Not to mention the DfT's NaPTAN database shows stops that don't actually exist on the ground.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.