Your GPX uploads and downloads

Forum » General Forums » Supporters

By TallPaul on 15/11/16 at 10:57am

We've been busy at WalkLakes towers and the new release of the GPX mapping software, as well as including some improvements to track arrows, also includes our first pass at something we've been mentioning in recent emails to new supporters:

• saving all your GPX files on our server so that we have a record of all your tracks and routes, rather than you having to keep trying to find them on your devices (we've already done some initial work on that one)

That "initial work" we were hinting at is that since January this year we've been quietly saving all your track uploads. We are now also logging route uploads, and track and route downloads.

So if you're a supporter you will now see two new options in the menu thus:

New menu options

Now click on "Your GPX uploads" you should see a popup which looks something like this (GPX downloads looks similar):

Simply click on "load" next to the GPX you want to see again and it will be loaded into the software.

We're already finding it useful but do let me know what you think of it.

By wintonian on 18/11/16 at 9:10pm

Whilst this is undoubtedly another great feature, I'm not sure I would want every GPX track/ file saved, partly for privicy reasons and partly because I sometimes plan 3 or 4 different variations of the same walk (less/ more ascent/ milage, weather etc.) which would itself add clutter.

Therefore it would be really good if a box popped up i.e. "would you like to add this to your saved tracks?" for example, or a way to toggle the saving of tracks/ routes on and off. Also a way to delete tracks/ routes after they have been added would provide a way for people to clean up their lists which in a few months/ years might be very long for some people.

Anyway it's great to see all the new features and results of your hard work bearing fruit. Now if you can find a way to flag up paths blocked by livestock, electric fencing or shotgun wielding farmers we might look into nominating you for a Nobel. :lol:

By TallPaul on 19/11/16 at 7:39pm

Whilst this is undoubtedly another great feature, I'm not sure I would want every GPX track/ file saved, partly for privicy reasons and partly because I sometimes plan 3 or 4 different variations of the same walk (less/ more ascent/ milage, weather etc.) which would itself add clutter.

Therefore it would be really good if a box popped up i.e. "would you like to add this to your saved tracks?" for example, or a way to toggle the saving of tracks/ routes on and off. Also a way to delete tracks/ routes after they have been added would provide a way for people to clean up their lists which in a few months/ years might be very long for some people.

All valid points I think. I'll see what I can do.

Anyway it's great to see all the new features and results of your hard work bearing fruit. Now if you can find a way to flag up paths blocked by livestock, electric fencing or shotgun wielding farmers we might look into nominating you for a Nobel. :lol:

Well ... funnily enough, a layer for adding annotations to points on the map, each of which may be public or private, is something we've discussed. The problem with having public annotations is that it does mean we would have to police it to avoid spam and malicious comments, but we still think it's got potential.

By TallPaul on 25/11/16 at 10:28pm

Also a way to delete tracks/ routes after they have been added would provide a way for people to clean up their lists which in a few months/ years might be very long for some people

This is now done. :D

By Lancashire Lad on 06/06/17 at 2:27pm

Hi Paul,

I was just playing with the new zoom levels (7 and above) WayMaps tiles option, and, (for the first time ever), clicked on the "Your GPX Uploads" tab on the menu, expecting to see GPX tracks that I'd previously uploaded - but a pop-up message said that there were no GPX uploads on record (for me) ?

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I'd appreciate if you might clarify how the function works.

I've uploaded about a dozen "Walk Reports", each with a GPX track of the route walked. (And which shows up as expected, within the individual walk report concerned).

I had been thinking, (when I clicked on the "Your GPX Uploads" tab), that my "Walk Report" GPX tracks would appear on the main GPS mapping, but obviously not so.

Do GPX tracks have to be uploaded separately (i.e. not from within a "Walk Report") in order to have them shown on the main GPS mapping? If that is the case, might it somehow be possible to have an option whereby a user's GPX tracks, as uploaded into "Walk Reports", might also be shown on the main GPS mapping?

Best regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 12/06/17 at 1:02pm

These are uploads you've made into the mapping application, not uploads you've made as attachments to walk reports. Having said that I think it may be possible for me to dig those out of phpBB. I'll investigate.

By TallPaul on 13/06/17 at 2:12pm

I've investigated and "Your GPX Uploads" should now include any that you've posted here as part of walk reports.

By Lancashire Lad on 13/06/17 at 4:03pm

I've investigated and "Your GPX Uploads" should now include any that you've posted here as part of walk reports.

Hi Paul,

Spotted your reply, and have just signed in and visited the GPS mapping page to give things a try. Unfortunately, when I click on the "Your GPX Uploads" tab, I'm still getting this message: -

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 13/06/17 at 4:27pm

OK, I think I can see why that was (it's not got any GPXs recorded for you as uploaded in the application, which was an edge case I didn't try in testing).

If you try it again now I think it will sort of work although I'm only seeing one GPX file Newlands Round - 25-05-17.gpx which you uploaded on 2017-05-27 11:38 and I know you've posted more so I'm currently trying to work out why they're not showing those in the list.

By TallPaul on 13/06/17 at 5:53pm

OK, I think I've cracked it. I'm now seeing 18 GPX tracks for you.

By Lancashire Lad on 13/06/17 at 7:31pm

Thanks Paul,

Just tried it and all seem to be visible and working OK.

For future reference, will any future "Walk report" GPX tracks also now be visible within the main GPS mapping? - or was this a one-off exercise specific to my Walk Report tracks to date?

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 13/06/17 at 7:45pm

It's looking directly into the forum, so it always picks up any GPXs you've included in walk reports.

By Lancashire Lad on 13/06/17 at 7:48pm

It's looking directly into the forum, so it always picks up any GPXs you've included in walk reports.

That's great!

I'm sure that others will find it useful too!

Best regards, Mike.

By SheepFarmer on 17/06/17 at 10:57am

I have found a quirk of the system in that when I'm auto/stay logged on if I come to the mapping page from a browser bookmark then the "Your GPX uploads" & downloads won't open but if I go to the home page then to GPS mapping they will.

It would also be nice if more than one route was saved, plus the ability or default to order tracks by start date.

By TallPaul on 19/06/17 at 10:23am

I have found a quirk of the system in that when I'm auto/stay logged on if I come to the mapping page from a browser bookmark then the "Your GPX uploads" & downloads won't open but if I go to the home page then to GPS mapping they will.

That's odd. Sounds like it's something cookie related. I'll take a look.

It would also be nice if more than one route was saved,

I don't understand this one ...

plus the ability or default to order tracks by start date.

I'm guessing, not looked at the code yet, that they're ordered by date uploaded. I'll ponder that one.

By SheepFarmer on 19/06/17 at 12:41pm

The bit about saving routes is that each time I upload a plotted route it replaces the previous one saved on your server so when I go to my "your gpx uploads" there is only the last one I've uploaded unlike my tracks which stores them all.

By TallPaul on 19/06/17 at 6:42pm

The bit about saving routes is that each time I upload a plotted route it replaces the previous one saved on your server so when I go to my "your gpx uploads" there is only the last one I've uploaded unlike my tracks which stores them all.

Ah, OK, I can see that now. Fixed: it should now save all routes uploaded, not just the last one.

By wintonian on 20/06/17 at 1:47am

Glad to see the issue with uploaded gpx files has been solved, it also seems to have solved the same issue that was happening with downloaded gpx tracks. :D

By SheepFarmer on 22/08/17 at 7:10am

Thank you Paul for sorting my previous thing here, but I now have another problem.

This is that some of my routes won't load, if I go to "your gpx uploads" & I click on the load link of the affected ones the "your uploaded gpx files" window goes but the route doesn't load & no changes to the map location happen, on the "your gpx downloads" with the affected route, when I click on the load link nothing happens & the window stays open. Both times the javascrit:oldGPX...... message at the bottom left of the window that appears when hovering over the load link stays put until the mouse is moved. I haven't gone through all my tracks but the random selection I've tried all load.

I have tried logging out & in , clearing browsing history & different browsers, but the affected routes still won't load.

By TallPaul on 22/08/17 at 7:52am

Sorry, are we talking about tracks or routes or both? I can see 9 routes and 26 tracks in your uploads.

If routes are affected can you give me some names?

If tracks are affected can you give me some dates?

By SheepFarmer on 22/08/17 at 11:44am

In my uploads its the routes Grassmoor round... plus Helvellyn & Catstye Cam... in the downloads its the route Preseli's that are the affected ones. All of my tracks that I've tried are OK.

By TallPaul on 22/08/17 at 11:53am

Hmmm ... I'm having problems re-producing this one. It's not happening with my own uploads and I can also load both of your uploaded routes if I sneak in the back way and take them straight off the server. I think it must be something to do with your set up. Can you PM me your password and I'll take a look? Ta.

By TallPaul on 23/08/17 at 9:58am

I think I've now fixed this. It was all down to your use of apostrophes, both in the names of waypoints (e.g. 'Footpath'9) and of routes (e.g. Preseli's). There's no reason why you shouldn't do that, in either place, but we weren't handling it at all well.

By SheepFarmer on 23/08/17 at 12:11pm

Yes they are working now. Thank you. It's always the little things that get us :)

By Alice Thong on 02/11/18 at 9:22am

New to the site and hopefully in the right area???? We uploaded a walk to our etrex 25 (Burnbank Fell) but when we started the walk there were too many waypoints on the walk so were unable to use it???? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Does anyone else have an etrex 25 that can offer advice/help? Had a fab day walking Burnbank / Blake and Gavel Fell.

By TallPaul on 02/11/18 at 9:50am

Is this the eTrex Touch 25 you're talking about? Or some earlier model? That route only has 74 waypoints in it so I'd certainly expect it to load on the eTrex Touch 25. Unless its memory is full perhaps?

By SheepFarmer on 02/11/18 at 1:47pm

Paul,

I think what Alice is referring to is that routes displayed on Garmin units put a flag or pin marker at each point. Below are screen shots, Oregon 700 in landscape top & etrex 20 bottom of a route with just 26 points on it. As you get more points the markers obscure the line & surrounding map area, points 23 to 25 give you an idea.

Alice,

What I do is convert the routes into tracks, with basecamp for me but other methods are available I sure, as then you just get the line, you can still have them directing you just with a fixed direct point to point routing rather than the multiple options available when it's a route. An alternative is with just the track (converted route) I'm walking that day showing on screen in one colour & the current track (where I've just walked) also showing trailing out from ones current position in a different colour.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.