Helvellyn via Grisedale Tarn (from Patterdale).

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Lancashire Lad on 03/11/16 at 4:40pm

Hills walked:
Dollywaggon Pike (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, High Hill of Britain, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
High Crag (Grisedale) (Birkett, Synge, and deleted Nuttall)
Nethermost Pike (Wainwright, Birkett, Nuttall, High Hill of Britain, Fellranger, Synge, and sub Sim)
Helvellyn (Furth, Wainwright, Birkett, Marilyn, Hewitt, Nuttall, HuMP, High Hill of Britain, Clem, County Top - Current County and Unitary Authority, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, County Top - Historic, and Tump)
Striding Edge (Hewitt, Nuttall, High Hill of Britain, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Date started:02/11/2016
Distance:18.3 km or 11.4 miles
Ascent:1049m or 3442ft
Descent:1045m or 3428ft
Start OSGB:NY397158
Time taken:7:58
Naismith:5:25

After parking the car in a small layby on the A592, I took the footpath through the grounds of the Patterdale Hotel, heading into Grisedale. My route eventually took me past Ruthwaite Lodge and onwards to Grisedale Tarn, with impressive views of the crags of Nethermost Pike and Dollywaggon Pike to my right, and St. Sunday Crag to my left, along the way.

Nearing Grisedale Tarn, I spotted the Brothers Parting stone, with its associated nameplate sign, so decided to take a photo. Unfortunately, the words inscribed on the rock are difficult to read, and were made almost impossible to photograph with the light being against me, giving very little contrast. The words inscribed on the rock read: - "Here did we stop; and here looked round While each into himself descends, For that last thought of parting Friends That is not to be found. Brother and friend, if verse of mine Have power to make thy virtues known, Here let a monumental Stone Stand sacred as a Shrine."

From Grisedale Tarn, I headed up to Dollywagon Pike summit, then following the eastern edge of the ridge along to Nethermost Pike, and eventually, Helvellyn summit. Hardly a cloud in the sky, along with crystal clear air clarity, meant that the autumnally coloured panoramic views to be had whilst walking along the summit ridge were superb.

Worth noting that although it was for the most part a fine sunny day, what wind there was, coming from a northerly direction, was bitingly cold. Air temperature on the tops was hovering at not much above freezing, with ice to be seen on small boggy pools on Nethermost Pike's summit ridge.

After taking in the views from Helvellyn, I decided to make my way back to Patterdale by down climbing Striding Edge, then along to the Hole-in-the-wall, descending on the Patterdale side of Birkhouse Moor towards Brownend Plantation and Grisedale Bridge, before finally walking the short distance along the A592 back to the car.

GPX Track of the walk: -

Looking across the autumnal coloured foliage of Grisedale valley, towards Nethermost Pike and Dollywaggon Pike: -

Looking towards Nethermost Pike and Dollywaggon Pike.

The head of Grisedale, with Dollywaggon Pike to the centre, and Nethermost Pike to its right: -

The head of Grisedale, with Dollywaggon Pike to the centre, and Nethermost Pike to its right.

Falcon Crag, on the southern slopes of Dollywaggon Pike: -

Falcon Crag.

The Brothers Parting stone. (A tad small at the size reproduced here, but see description in main text): -

The Brothers Parting stone.

Looking east along Grisedale, with Ullswater in the distance, and St. Sunday Crag to right hand side. (Taken from Dollywaggon Pike summit slope): -

Looking east along Grisedale, with Ullswater in the distance, and St. Sunday Crag to right hand side.

The western vista from Dollywaggon Pike summit plateau: -

The western vista from Dollywaggon Pike summit plateau.

The view across Ruthwaite Cove to St. Sunday Crag, with Hard Tarn at lower left. (Taken from Nethermost Pike summit ridge): -

The view across Ruthwaite Cove to St. Sunday Crag, with Hard Tarn at lower left.

An ice covered bog-pool on Nethermost Pike summit ridge, with Striding Edge beyond: -

An ice covered bog-pool on Nethermost Pike summit ridge, with Striding Edge beyond.

Walkers on the rock step of Striding Edge, with Catstye Cam beyond: -

Walkers on the rock step of Striding Edge, with Catstye Cam beyond.

The Leeming-Hinkler memorial stone, commemorating their aircraft landing of 1926: -

The Leeming-Hinkler memorial stone, commemorating their aircarft landing of 1926.

The wider view of the Helvellyn landing area - Not the smoothest airstrip in the world it has to be said! :D

Wider view of the Helvellyn landing area.

Striding Edge, with St. Sunday Crag beyond: -

Striding Edge, with St. Sunday Crag beyond.

Yours truly with Striding Edge and the eastern vista behind: -

Yours truly with Striding Edge behind.

Striding Edge and Red Tarn: -

Striding Edge and Red Tarn.

The Dixon Memorial on Striding Edge: -

The Dixon Memorial on Striding Edge.

The Hole-In-The-Wall, with Birkhouse Moor beyond: -

The Hole-In-The-Wall, with Birkhouse Moor beyond.

Looking back to the head of Grisedale from the path back down to Patterdale: -

Looking back to the head of Grisedale from the path back down to Patterdale.

Regards, Mike.

By beth on 04/11/16 at 11:08am

Cracking walk that Mike, thanks for sharing it!

By Pmg on 07/11/16 at 8:07am

Finally managed to register and get 'in' !! Its early yet - must need another coffee before fully awake!! Smashing report and a long walk and climb thats made me feel breathless even just sat here! Those were the days - thoroughly enjoyed seeing these views again - its a long time since I got up there and I went straight up the steep side from Thirlemere ... even all those years ago it took me 4 hours to get on top :lol: Never was much of a climber or walker for that matter - yet I;ve always wanted to be on the tops!

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.