Red Screes to Hart Crag, Priest Hole etc. (From Cow Bridge).

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Lancashire Lad on 13/07/17 at 8:08pm (last edited 04/01/24 at 6:08pm)

Hills walked:
Middle Dodd (Wainwright, Birkett, Fellranger, and Synge)
Red Screes (Wainwright, Birkett, Marilyn, Hewitt, Nuttall, HuMP, Clem, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Little Hart Crag (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
High Hartsop Dodd (Wainwright, Birkett, Fellranger, and Synge)
Dove Crag (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Hart Crag (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Hartsop Above How (Wainwright, Birkett, sub Dodd, Fellranger, and Synge)
Gale Crag (Birkett and Synge)
Date started:12/07/2017
Distance:18.9 km or 11.7 miles
Ascent:1405m or 4610ft
Descent:1405m or 4610ft
Start OSGB:NY402133
Time taken:9:52
Naismith:6:07

Weather forecast was predicting a for the most part sunny day, so I headed back to the Lake District on Wednesday (12th July) for another wander on the fells. - This time to do Red Screes and Middle Dodd, two tops I hadn't previously visited, along with several more that I had.

Starting from Cow Bridge car park beside Brothers Water, I walked past the lake to Hartsop Hall, and then took the footpath across the intake fields, heading towards Scandale Pass. Not long after passing beyond the "Settlement" (site of antiquity), my route deviated away from the Scandale Pass track, crossing the footbridge over Kirkstone Beck, and onto the lower flanks of Middle Dodd.

A relentlessly steep and pretty much pathless pull up to Middle Dodd, eventually gave way to easier ground on the approach to Red Screes. From which summit, extensive views towards Windermere and the Morecambe Bay coastline were to be had.

From Red Screes, it was down to Scandale Pass and then up to Little Hart Crag summit, before taking a descending traverse across to the summit of High Hartsop Dodd. Then it was back up towards Little Hart Crag, (this time skirting the actual summit), and across Bakestones Moss, to the very well-constructed "Dale Head"-like cairn on High Bakestones.

During lunch at High Bakestones, the sun gave way to a large bank of cloud coming in from the west, which then persisted for a couple of hours, slightly taking the edge off photos taken during that period. - Still, the weather will do what the weather will do!

From High Bakestones it was an easy stroll across to the ridge-line, picking up the main "Fairfield Horseshoe" path as far as Dove Crag. Where, after visiting the summit, I descended to the col, and then headed off down into Houndshope Cove in order to make my way across and up to the Priest's Hole Cave. (Slightly tidier than found on my last visit, but the "visitor books" have now completely disappeared - see footnote below).

From the cave, it was back up to the col, and onwards to Hart Crag summit before descending back to valley level via the Hartsop above How - Gale Crag - Bleaberry Knott ridge. There was nothing to be gained by following the ridge all the way down to Deepdale Bridge, (which would then mean a road walk back to the car), so instead, I took the steep path which drops through Low Wood, directly back to Cow Bridge car park. Another great day in The Lakes!

GPX track of the route walked: -

Elevation Profile for the walk: -

Having walked past Brothers Water, and now approaching Hartsop Hall, Middle Dodd can be seen left of centre, with a still cloud covered Red Screes behind. High Hartsop Dodd and the ridge leading across to Dove Crag are seen towards right hand side of shot: -

Approaching Hartsop Hall, with Middle Dodd, High Hartsop Dodd, etc. in view.

Cloud not yet lifted from Dove Crag. (As seen from the intake fields of Hartsop Hall farm): -

Cloud capped Dove Crag from Hartsop Hall intake.

Looking back to Brothers Water, with Angletarn Pikes and Place Fell beyond. (As seen from flanks of Middle Dodd): -

Brothers Water from flanks of Middle Dodd.

Looking across Middle Dodd and Brothers Water, from Red Screes summit: -

Looking across Middle Dodd and Brothers Water, from Red Screes summit.

Windermere and the coast, from Red Screes summit: -

Windermere and the coast, from Red Screes summit.

Looking up to Little Hart Crag from Scandale Pass: -

Looking up to Little Hart Crag from Scandale Pass.

The view towards Windermere from Little Hart Crag summit: -

The view towards Windermere from Little Hart Crag summit.

Dove Crag, with Hart Crag - (in shade), and Fairfield beyond. (As seen from High Hartsop Dodd summit): -

Dove Crag, with Hart Crag, and Fairfield.

Brothers Water, Angletarn Pikes - (central, in shade), with Place Fell - (to left). - from High Hartsop Dodd summit: -

Brothers Water, Angletarn Pikes, Place Fell.

The view north-eastwards, from High Bakestones: -

The view north-eastwards, from High Bakestones.

Windermere, with Morecambe Bay beyond. - As seen "zoomed-in" from High Bakestones plateau: -

Windermere, with Morecambe Bay beyond.

Looking towards Windermere & the coast, from an overcast Dove Crag summit: -

Windermere & the coast from Dove Crag summit.

The Priest's Hole Cave on Dove Crag: -

The Priests Hole Cave.

View from the Priest's Hole Cave entrance: -

View from the Priests Hole Cave entrance.

The view from the Priest's Hole Cave "balcony": -

View from the Priests Hole Cave balcony".

Looking towards Windermere from Hart Crag summit: -

Windermere from Hart Crag.

The sun begins to come out again - but Striding Edge remains resolutely under cloud! (Taken from Hart Crag summit area): -

Striding Edge from Hart Crag.

Looking back in the direction of Link Cove and Greenhow End, from Hartsop above How ridge: -

Link Cove and Greenhow End.

The Priest's Hole Cave on Dove Crag, as seen from Hartsop above How ridge: -

Priests Hole Cave on Dove Crag, from Hartsop above How ridge.

Coastguard Helicopter - Employed in many mountain rescue call-outs. (A quick "grab-shot" as it passed above Dove Crag): -

Coastguard Helicopter.

Looking back to Dove Crag from Hartsop above How ridge: -

Dove Crag from Hartsop above How ridge.

Looking back up the Hartsop above How ridge to Hart Crag, Fairfield, Link Cove, and Greenhow End: -

Hart Crag, Fairfield, Link Cove, and Greenhow End.

Angletarn Pikes from Bleaberry Knott ridge area: -

Angletarn Pikes from Bleaberry Knott ridge area.

Looking across Brothers Water to Gray Crag, Rest Dodd, The Knott, etc. - (From Bleaberry Knott ridge area): -

Looking across Brothers Water.

Regards, Mike.

Footnote: I was pleased to find the Priest's Hole Cave somewhat tidier than on my previous visit.
See: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=413

Unfortunately, the visitors books are now a thing of the past, gone forever - another of Lakeland's fell-walking traditions lost! - Probably thrown away or burned as fuel by someone of the same mental capacity as the simpletons who perpetrated this graffiti on the cave's wind break wall.

Breezemount Shufflers, et al, - you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves!!!!!!!

Graffiti at Priest's Hole Cave.

By Pmg on 08/09/17 at 11:00am

Another (many years ago comment!) and I don't remember a lot about it but I think we walked alongside Brothers Water and then at some point climbed up onto Hartsop Above How ... I don't remember the Hall and I certainly didn;t tackle Hart Crag! So just how we got up on the open ridge out of the wood I dunno? But I do remember the view across the lake and the surrounding hills before coming back down to Cow Bridge Car Park ...

By Lancashire Lad on 08/09/17 at 11:44am

Many thanks for your comment Pauline - Much appreciated.

I too have several walks from the dim and distant past, (I'm talking in the region of about 40 years ago), where I hardly remember doing the walk at all! :shock:

One in particular, around the back of Skiddaw, (Great Calva. Little Calva, etc.), I can't recollect doing the walk at all! - I don't have any photos, just a black line marked on an old OS 1-inch Lake District Map, (1974 revision - price 95p!), as evidence that I ever did that walk.- However, a friend who was with me at the time clearly remembers various things that were seen on the day.

Regards, Mike.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.