Seatoller, Castle Crag and Lodore Falls

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By lauramac on 11/03/19 at 4:32pm

Date started:13/03/2018
Distance:18.0 km or 11.2 miles
Ascent:518m or 1699ft
Time taken:4:25
Naismith:4:28

This was a beautiful day and I wanted to make the most of it. I headed straight from Borrowdale Youth Hostel and followed another route I had found in a guidebook. I started off towards Seatoller and then when signposted for Honnister I started to climb and followed a clear path to Castle Crag. A bit of a scramble got me to the top of the Crag and I had the place to myself for a few minutes. There were great views over Derwent Water. I nervously scrambled down again and continued on to pick up part of the Cumbrian Way leading to cross the Derwent River. Due to major flood repairs at Lodore Hotel, I took a detour to the falls. I headed back hugging the road with a minor detour to see the Bowder Stone. A wee break in Rosthwaite allowed me to enjoy tea and a scone before returning to the hostel.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.