Scafell Pike - The Easy Way

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Aragorn on 01/08/16 at 10:20am

Date started:27/07/2016

Hi,

Walked up the 'Easy' route to Scafell Pike last week. Very hard work but as we chose the right weather day, very rewarding and easy to follow.

A couple of notes - The NT campsite now has parking for walkers and appears to be the preferred parking now for Pike walkers (signposted from the road before Wasdale Head) - great if, like me, you have an NT parking sticker. Just don't use the portaloo's unless you have to! Lingmell Beck was almost impassable at Brown Tongue (happy to share a couple of photos if you want) - both my sons had to go paddling as were many others and many were trekking a further 200m+ up the Beck to find a passable crossing. If this is the recommended route, some sort of crossing might be handy, eg a temporary rope bridge? Is that route managed by NT or the NPA?

Thanks for the walk routes.

By Walkersim on 06/09/18 at 6:51am

Did this route yesterday. The sun was shining and then we had light cloud cover, which helped cool things on the way up. We found the stepping stones across the river fine and if wearing the right walking shoes a little water would not matter. I suppose at different times of the year a paddle across would be needed, but fun.

We took the fun route at the tongue, where you can go the easier route left, or right for a bit of fun scrambling and a little climbing.

Perfect spot to have our lunch at the summit.

Took 3.41 minutes for the whole route, but me and my friend are reasonably fit.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.