Dunmallard Hill

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Gav Laa on 09/01/17 at 12:24pm

Date started:07/01/2017
Distance:1.5 km or 0.9 miles
Ascent:150m or 492ft
Start OSGB:NY469245
Naismith:0:33

Nice early start from Skelmersdale upto Poole Bridge to start the day with this nice little stroll up Dunmallard Hill, first of three planned for the day.

Weather is a nice 7 degrees, plenty of hill fog and cloud but dry and very little wind.

I'm with my brother today (Marc) - he's an experienced walker/climber all over the UK and further a field too... But enough about him.

09:50 We started from the information board at the car park next to the new temporary bridge in Poole Bridge, jumped straight onto the the circular path following it towards Soulby (bearing right).

We followed the path up the steep hill until we reached a little sign post giving us the option to continue on the circular walk or bear right through the gate into the field towards Dacre - it's hear you can turn left and make out a pathway straight upto the summit. From this route you can kind of make out the alleged fortification as you reach the summit it look a little un-natural the way the land is shaped.

Once we hit the summit we continued straight and eventually landed back on the circular path, we followed this until we were alongside the road and Ullswater, hear you can continue back to the starting point or exit the hill onto the road near the pier - we exited the hill and took in the views off the pier then returned back to the car park.

Ok little walk I guess not much to see with the trees obscuring all the views but an nice walk to start the day. Little Mell Fell next...

Starting point
The steepish hill towards the little sign post
The view towards the little sign post from the ascent to the summit
What looks like the summit
Ullswater

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.