Handheld GPS

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By pistolrider on 02/12/13 at 4:58pm

Hey! Paul

I'm getting my GPS back tonight from my mate who has loaded a whole of GB map from Talky Toaster.

I have saved (all by myself) some routes using the maps on this site.

My question is.............Will I be able to overlay the routes onto the map on the GPS.

I bet you are thinking who is this thick plonker but I am bordering on the computer illiterate :D

By TallPaul on 02/12/13 at 5:08pm

I would be very surprised if you couldn't: unusually the GPX file format really does seem to be universally used and accepted by all manufacturers. The only issue you may have is getting the GPX route1 on (and later the GPX track2 off) your GPS, but I can't help you with that - you'll have to RTFM.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By pistolrider on 02/12/13 at 5:49pm

You know what Paul! Back in the day when I was doing massive days on the hill, it may have been useful. But now I'm old and falling apart and only taking in 5 or 6 hills, I should be able to remember the route. Funnily enough I seem to remember that even all those years ago I could remember my intended route and would fold my paper map accordingly.

By pistolrider on 04/12/13 at 7:21am

Now received, from my mate, my GPSr with maps loaded. As I have mentioned in previous posts downloaded, courtesy of Talky Toaster. The maps are excellent but not quite what I'm used to (having never used anything but OS 1:50000) I am impressed with the amount of information, I just now need to see good they are in less well walked and/or visited parts of the country.

Been up on Cannock Chase to try it out, it works really well and I look forward to having a proper day on the hill, with it, hopefully at some point it will help me when I can hardly see my hand in front of my face.

I am starting to see its limitations though, due to its small screen size and realise I shall still need to take my paper map with me. Anyway, I think it will help me relax a bit more, so I am able to enjoy the hills and not be full on navigating all the time and if it stops me from getting lost, that will be a bonus.

By beth on 04/12/13 at 10:11am

The maps on Talky Toaster sound like our OpenMaps, bit different but give you enough if you can get past the familiarity of OS maps and just go with it - bit like looking at a Harvey map for the first time! Just look after the thing and take a spare set of batteries.

By pistolrider on 24/12/13 at 8:22pm

Yes Beth, the Talky Toaster maps are ok but what I would give to have the maps found on this site loaded on my GPSr, doesn't bear thinking about. I took your advice and had some spare batteries with me. Funnily enough I needed to change them, whilst on my descent. The GPSr is a great tool but its good to remember that you do not have to change the batteries on a paper map and compass.

By pistolrider on 09/01/14 at 4:12pm

Paul

I was just wondering, if at some point in the future, you will be able to make the maps available to download to my GPSr, as they are far superior to those I have available at the moment.

The one problem I can foresee is the OS. I would imagine they would unhappy if any part of their mapping was available for download.

By TallPaul on 09/01/14 at 4:52pm

Correct. Ordnance Survey would have kittens.

We could, in theory, put the tiles from http://openmaps.the-hug.net into a format suitable for GPS download as they are Open Data. They're not bad, although not as good as OS native tiles, but we've no need to do that for our own use.

[
](http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002EOULAE?ie=UTF8&camp=3194&creative=21330&creativeASIN=B002EOULAE&linkCode=shr&tag=thehug-21&qid=1389286087&sr=8-1&keywords=foretrex+301)

The only GPSs we routinely use are a couple of Foretrex wrist mounted ones for track2 logging and position finding and, in my case, course (i.e. route1) following when sailing. Those don't support loading of maps so it's not exactly high on my List of Things to DoTM at the moment.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.
  2. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.