Printing from Chrome (and Safari)

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By TallPaul on 11/01/14 at 2:45pm

We've had reports that printing of maps fails on Chrome on Mac and we've re-produced this on Chrome on Linux. Further testing suggests that printing works on Firefox, Opera and IE but doesn't work on Chrome of Safari.

Not sure why this should be, we've certainly done nothing to deliberately stop printing working, but until we come up with a fix I suggest you use another browser if you're having problems with printing.

By TallPaul on 13/01/14 at 2:02pm

OK, well I'm no further forward on fixing this, however with dclarkson's help I have at least managed to define the problem more completely, which is always a good first step.

Currently it seems that you can print from:

You can't print from:

As to why this should be so I've yet to work out.

I did think it might be something to do with Webkit, which is the software base used in all the browsers on the second list, but that's also in Opera which does work.

The old mapping software did print on Chrome so there's nothing fundamentally broken with printing from the underlying OpenLayers JavaScript library.

I mention all this in case there's any other developers out there who are reading this who might be able to point me in the right direction ...

For everyone else at least the list of browsers above should give you alternatives to use if you need to print any maps.

By TallPaul on 14/01/14 at 5:07pm

OK, with some help from Marc George I've finally put this one to bed I think. It certainly now works on Chrome and Epiphany on Linux and Safari on Windows XP so it will probably work on all the other platforms too.

The only artefact as a consequence of this fix is that if you re-size the browser window in Safari you may get a blank strip down the edge but if you do just re-size again and it should go away.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.