Ascent/Naismith Calculation

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By TallPaul on 17/01/14 at 3:02pm

We've been seeing high loads on our server occasionally which I think I've tracked down to users of our GPS mapping software adding waypoints to a route1 quickly (as every time you add a waypoint the server has to re-calculate the ascent and Naismith time).

To reduce the load I've now made the software be a little more laid back, so if you add more than one waypoint within six seconds it delays doing the re-calculations until more than six seconds has passed since the last re-calculation.

This means we should get at most ten re-calculation requests from any one user in a minute, which I'm hoping will help smooth the server load while still giving acceptable performance for the user.

Anyway, if you have any comments, either positive or negative, let me know by commenting to this topic. Ta.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.

By pistolrider on 24/01/14 at 12:17pm

Sorry Mate! :o

If only I had known...........I've been clicking on routes, (to download to my GPSr), like a madman.

I'm glad you've put something in place to slow me down to an acceptable pace.

By TallPaul on 24/01/14 at 12:26pm

If it was just you it wouldn't be a problem, but we get a lot of users across our three mapping sites and if two or more were creating a route1 at the same time the server could start to groan a bit. Anyway, no one has complained and the server seems a lot happier so hopefully this has cracked it.

1. A route describes where you are intending to go, point by point. For more information click here.

By pistolrider on 24/01/14 at 6:04pm

I'm pleased it wasn't just me.

Being a bit computer "Thick" or is that "Illiterate", the only way I can get involved is via posting on the forums. To be fair to Paul and all the great work he does, it would be nice if other "Mad Mapping Clickers" joined us on these boards, to put something back into the site, when they have used the GPS Mapping for their own needs.

Reporting the walks taken might be a good place to start.

By TallPaul on 24/01/14 at 6:11pm

On my enormous List of Things to DoTM is that whenever someone uploads a track1 it will say:

1. I see you past these summits, would you like those recorded in your log book?

2. Now you've uploaded a track why not write as walk report?

1. A track records where you have been and when you were there. For more information click here.

By pistolrider on 25/01/14 at 4:49pm

Paul, I can assure you that I am doing my best to make that "To do" list even longer :lol:

With a few more folks, on board I'm sure we could bury you under a mountain of, lists, odd bits of paper and Post-it Notes.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.