Anyone on Mac Safari?

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By GDAS24 on 21/01/14 at 11:02pm

Are there any other Mac users out there having difficulty with Paul's new version of the Mapping?

http://maps.the-hug.net/ used to work fine on my Mac (OSX 10.6, Safari 5.1), but now I find that although a 1:50000 OS map appears, I can't drag it, the +/- zoom buttons don't respond to my mouse, the 'Go to' box won't allow me to place the cursor in it, the Menu items (Home, Load GPX etc) don't do anything when activated, except the Home option which refreshes the URL.

On my PC using Chrome it seems fine, so I think this must be a Mac-specific problem. Paul tells me that it works fine for him when running Safari on a PC

Just had a thought - my brother has a Mac, and an iPad, I'll ask him to give it a go.

cheers,

Graham

By digby on 07/03/14 at 10:44am

I have exactly the same issue. I'm trying to use the GPS mapping but the Load GPS, Help and About menu items are hidden behind the map; the + and - don't work, and the map won't move. This is in Safari 5.1.10 on a Mac - OS 10.6.8 I can tell they are hidden behind the map as if I click the Aerial box they briefly appear.

It all works fine in Firefox 27.0.1 and Chrome 28.0.1500.71 (but I much prefer Safari!)

By TallPaul on 07/03/14 at 11:52am

I was having problems trying to do anything about this as we don't have any Mac's here and it worked fine on Safari 5.1.7 on Windows XP (don't judge me, it's only a VM for testing web sites on IE8) which seems to be the latest release available for Windows XP.

However I've just installed Safari 5.1.7 on our Windows 8.1 VM and I can see the same issue being described by GDAS24 so at least I've got something I can test against now. However I have no Mac debugging tools so if there anyone out there who's got any experience of web apps running on Safari who can give me a pointer I'd be grateful. (It smells like a z-index problem ...)

By digby on 07/03/14 at 5:45pm

You should be able to turn on Safari's Develop menu from Preferences - advanced (the cog wheel one at the end). It's got all the debugging tools and Inspector there.

Though if you are in fact, the Hug, you knew that!

It couldn't be an issue with Java could it? OS 10.6.8 can't be updated to Java version 7, which is very annoying.

By digby on 08/03/14 at 9:03am

.ui-front { z-index: 100; }

Switched this off in inspector and the dialogue box instantly appeared. Closed the box and the map started working. jquery-ui.css:54

So I think your hunch is right!

By TallPaul on 09/03/14 at 10:19am

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you on this one: yesterday was spent doing various house related chores I'd been putting off for ages. Anyway nose now firmly back to the grindstone:

.ui-front { z-index: 100; }

Switched this off in inspector and the dialogue box instantly appeared. Closed the box and the map started working. jquery-ui.css:54

So I think your hunch is right!

Aha. Well spotted. I'm always a bit leery about over-riding the default jQuery CSS but changing it to "auto" fixes it on Win8.1 and doesn't seem to break it on IE or Firefox either. OK. I've rolled that out to live (you may need to do a force re-load to pick up the new style sheet.

I also tweeted about this as @OpenMaps and @WalkLakes and got a reply from @tadaja saying that it's 'not a problem with OS X 10.8 / Safari 6.1.2' so thanks to them too for checking. It ties up with my suspicion that this is actually a quirk in the release of Safari that you're on.

By digby on 11/03/14 at 9:34am

Working now! Well done, thanks.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.