Direction arrows on tracks

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By TallPaul on 29/08/16 at 5:20pm

I was on someone else's site the other day (yes, yes, I know: burn the heretic :oops: ) and they were showing little direction of travel arrows along any track you uploaded. This seems like an excellent idea to me - probably as an option which can be turned off (at least for supporters) - but I suspect most of the time one would want it on.

I think I could get away with sixteen pointer images so N, NNE, NE, ENE, E etc. If anyone can point me to a free to use set of images, to save me having to cook up my own, then shout.

By wintonian on 30/08/16 at 1:06am

Now here's an idea I have been thinking of...

How about the ability to reverse track direction? It's not uncommon for me to plan a day out only decide that the transport works better the other way round or there is less hill climbing that way round (i get lazy days :P ), only for everything to be the wrong ways round on the portable device.

Admittedly this can be solved with the VewRanger app, but I find it a bit off a faff, and some other devices probably can't do this?

By TallPaul on 30/08/16 at 9:38am

You mean route rather than track I think but yes, that's been on the list forever. I think the reason it keeps not getting done is that when you start a route on all our Garmin GPSs it always asks which direction you want to do them in. But if you would find it useful that gives me a good reason to push it up the list.

By Lancashire Lad on 03/09/16 at 6:03pm

. . . . . I think I could get away with sixteen pointer images so N, NNE, NE, ENE, E etc. If anyone can point me to a free to use set of images, to save me having to cook up my own, then shout.

Hi Paul,

I have a set of sixteen triangle images - but they are in jpg. form. - I don't know whether you will need vector graphics for what you are proposing?

Anyway, if they might be any good as a basis for what you are wanting, you would be more than welcome to make use of them.

I've attached a few below as examples: -

North
North North East
North East
East North East
East

If they might be of any use, let me know, and I'll email the files to you.

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 04/09/16 at 11:41am

Aye, those would do the job nicely. Could you email them to be at - thanks.

By Lancashire Lad on 04/09/16 at 12:23pm

Aye, those would do the job nicely. Could you email them to be at - thanks.

Done. ;)

I wasn't sure whether you would need vector graphic images, (these are jpg's), in order to be able to properly resize for the proposed usage?

Anyway, see how they go - if they are no good, then nothing lost, just "bin 'em". :lol:

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 20/09/16 at 2:15pm

In the end we went with SVGs (and we discovered we needed 32 for it to look right rather than 16). But it's now working and here is a little video of me showing you it working (it works best if you make it full screen).

Oh yes, and continuing our policy of giving supporters early access to new features this is only for them at the moment.

By TallPaul on 03/11/16 at 1:37pm

We've made two little tweaks to this:

1. Previously it showed one arrowhead about every 500m. This worked fine for 1:25K and the more zoomed in 1:50K scale but less well on the other 1:50K scale or on the "road atlas" scales. So on these scales we now try to show the same number of arrows per screen distance rather than per distance on the ground. In other words as you zoom out you see less arrows. We think this should help people looking at longer tracks e.g. cyclists or motorists.

2. Previously if you had already loaded a track and then toggled the 'Track shows direction arrows' setting nothing happened until you re-load the track. We've now changed it so that the track shows (or no longer shows) arrows immediately after you've changed the setting.

By TallPaul on 15/11/16 at 10:43am

Two more little tweaks to this:

1. Previously the arrowhead tips often seemed to be slightly (one pixel!) to the right and/or below the track. They aren't now.

2. Occasionally an arrowhead would seem to point in a slightly odd direction. This turned out to be because we were only looking at the previous point in the track and GPS jitter could throw it a bit. So now we're taking an average over the previous four points and that works a lot better.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.