GPX import into Viewranger

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By lentilbake on 15/05/19 at 1:19pm

I've plotted a route on the Walklakes Webpage and saved it to my Google drive. When I try to import the route into Viewranger on my iPad the file is greyed out. Some GPX files I've created on the Walklakes site seem to be ok but others are not. Any thoughts?

PS Why is there no Search function on this Forum or am I missing something?

Regards

By TallPaul on 15/05/19 at 1:29pm

I've plotted a route on the Walklakes Webpage and saved it to my Google drive. When I try to import the route into Viewranger on my iPad the file is greyed out. Some GPX files I've created on the Walklakes site seem to be ok but others are not. Any thoughts?

I think this is really Viewranger's or Apple's problem rather than ours but some thoughts:

1. Do all the files have filenames ending .gpx or .GPX?

2. If they do but they're greyed out I suppose it could be permission related? But we don't use Apple products here so that's a bit of a long shot.

3. It could be something broken inside the greyed out GPX files. If you like you could post one of the greyed out and one of the not greyed out GPX files here as attachments to your reply to this post. That might be interesting, both to see if the forum renders them correctly and so that we can then take a look at the data in them.

PS Why is there no Search function on this Forum or am I missing something?

This is very new forum software, which we wrote ourselves, and it's only been live for a couple of weeks. There's no search facility because no one's asked for one ... but now they have so I'll add it to the list. :)

By lentilbake on 15/05/19 at 5:55pm

Thanks for the reply, I've attached a couple of files, lords wood.gpx loads fine on Viewranger on my iPad but Rowberrow.gpx is greyed out in the file list. Both the files were made on the Walklakes site and both have .gpx extensions. I'm sure it's the Viewranger software, I don't have any problem loading gpx files to and from Maverick/Walklakes on my Android phone. I'm trying to find a way of sharing files with a friend who has an iPhone and the only decent app on the iPhone for OS maps is Viewranger.

Love the Walklakes site BTW!

Regards

By TallPaul on 15/05/19 at 6:00pm

They only remain attached if you insert them into the post ...

By lentilbake on 15/05/19 at 6:01pm

I looked at both those files in Notepad and they look identical in format to me, one is slightly smaller but I have some bigger ones that display Ok so it's not a size thing...

By TallPaul on 15/05/19 at 6:06pm

OK, well it sounds like it's definitely not something going wrong our site then. I don't think we can be a lot more help on this sadly. :(

By lentilbake on 15/05/19 at 9:30pm

Think your right, files do open using 'open with' directly from Google Drive but only some of them open from within the viewranger app. Can't stand IOS systems! Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.