Waymaps on a smartphone?

Forum » General Forums » Mapping

By geoffmozz on 09/07/20 at 12:26pm

Is there an app that will allow me to use Waymaps offline on a smartphone?

Waymaps look like the best incarnation of OSM mapping available for the UK. I'd like to have them on my phone :-)

I currently use OpenAndroMaps for OSM mapping. They're vector topo maps and very good. However they don't have all that OS crag information that's available on the image-based Waymaps.

By TallPaul on 11/07/20 at 1:33pm

There is currently no such app. There's several issues here, both technical and commercial which means that it's unlikely we will ever open up WayMaps tiles in this way ... however we are currently investigating having our own mobile app so watch this space.

By SheepFarmer on 27/07/20 at 10:04am

Your reply to my SARLOC post suggests that you know enough to build the WalkLakes / WayMaps mobile app bar copyright issues, if so can we start suggesting basic things we'd like it to feature or summarise our experiences of other map apps or GPS devices ?

By TallPaul on 27/07/20 at 10:11am

Version 0.1 of the WalkLakes/WayMaps mobile app will be available for beta testing this week, hopefully ...

By SheepFarmer on 27/07/20 at 1:12pm

I'm willing to try it.

By TallPaul on 27/07/20 at 1:13pm

You're first on my list already ;)

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.