"Ascent" Header in Walk Reports

Forum » General Forums » Supporters

By Lancashire Lad on 07/10/16 at 1:29pm

Hi Paul,

Would there be any possibility of amending the ascent header on Walk Reports such that it shows imperial measurement in "feet" as well as metres? (In a similar manner to the distance header which shows both kilometres and miles).

I'm of the generation brought up with imperial measurements and still find myself automatically thinking of heights in feet - even though all modern day maps use metric convention. (I'm sure there will be a few others like me). I've even customised my new fangled GPS unit to show me the odometer distance in miles and ascents in feet. :D

I've been caught out on all four of the walk reports I've submitted so far, and had to go back to edit the ascent to metric units when I subsequently spotted my mistakes. My latest clanger occurred on my Dow Crag walk report, where, again thinking in feet, I'd put 2438 into the ascent box. Only spotted today, when I read it back as 2438m, I got the "Oooops! - done it again! - A walk to Dow Crag and Coniston Old Man doesn't actually involve nearly 8000ft of ascent". :D :oops:

Regards, Mike.

By TallPaul on 11/10/16 at 8:24am

Yeah, I don't see why not. Updated as requested.

By Lancashire Lad on 11/10/16 at 11:20am

Many thanks Paul, that's just the job!

Best regards, Mike.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.