Fairfield Horseshoe from Ambleside

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By peteandsue on 08/06/15 at 6:50pm

Date started:07/06/2015
Distance:16.7 km or 10.4 miles
Ascent:1100m or 3609ft
Time taken:4:11
Naismith:5:10

This is a fantastic walk, albeit the description for the walk is apt...possible brutal weather, confusing at the top etc. We've been training for the National 3-Peak challenge and we thought this was a great walk to get us ready. It was perfect. It is a challenging walk and it does need respect. But the rewarding views make it all worthwhile. We went clockwise and as we started the return half of the horseshoe, the views over Heron Pike, Nab Scar and the like were truly epic. I suspect clockwise is more difficult because the initial climb is unforgiving!!

By rockhopper on 08/06/15 at 10:37pm

sounded a challenging walk right enough makes it all the more worthwhile when you can see something at the top as you did - cheers :)

By beth on 09/06/15 at 10:50am

I quite like the climb up Nab scar so don't find it too bad,but I know what you mean about unforgiving. It's a good walk whichever way round you go. Good luck with the 3peaks, that'll be a tough day!

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.