Newlands Round + Robinson + Inversion. - (From Gutherscale).

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Lancashire Lad on 27/05/17 at 1:03pm

Hills walked:
Skelgill Bank (Birkett and Synge)
Cat Bells (Wainwright, Birkett, Fellranger, Synge, and Tump)
Maiden Moor (Wainwright, Birkett, Fellranger, and Synge)
High Spy North Top (Nuttall and Synge)
High Spy (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, HuMP, sub Marilyn, Clem, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Dale Head (Wainwright, Birkett, Marilyn, Hewitt, Nuttall, HuMP, Clem, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Robinson (Wainwright, Birkett, Marilyn, Hewitt, Nuttall, HuMP, Clem, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
Hindscarth (Wainwright, Birkett, Hewitt, Nuttall, Fellranger, Synge, Sim, and Tump)
High Crags (Newlands) (Birkett and Synge)
Red Knott (Birkett)
Scope End (Birkett and Synge)
Date started:25/05/2017
Distance:20.6 km or 12.8 miles
Ascent:1333m or 4373ft
Descent:1334m or 4377ft
Start OSGB:NY245211
Time taken:8:55
Naismith:6:21

Extensive early mist in the valleys, followed by good weather all day was promised for Thursday, so I had another visit to the Lake District to do the "Newlands Round". As things turned out, the forecast was spot on. Driving towards and through central Lakeland, not long after dawn, was pretty much a pea-soup mist affair. However, occasionally rising above the murkiness at places such as Dunmail Raise, confirmed that this was indeed low lying mist, with cloudless blue skies above. - It was going to be a great day on the tops!

Parking up at the "Catbells Parking Area", by the roadside near Gutherscale, I headed off up the fell, breaking through the top of the mist just before reaching the Thomas Arthur Leonard memorial tablet. By the time I'd reached Skelgill Bank, I was well above the blanket of cloud, with great views all around, and the promise of wall-to-wall sunshine for the rest of the walk!

GPS Track of the walk: -

Not long after starting the walk, and, having broken through the "cloud", my first proper view of the extent of the low lying mist. Taken from Skelgill Bank, looking northwards to Skiddaw: -

Skiddaw, above the inversion.

The summit of Swinside, floating on a sea of mist: -

Swinside inversion.

Looking across the vale of Keswick, with Blencathra to the left hand side, Clough Head etc, to the right, and the Pennines just about visible on the far distant horizon. Derwentwater and Keswick are in there somewhere too - but completely hidden by the mist: -

Vale of Keswick inversion.

The Thomas Arthur Leonard memorial tablet: -

The Leonard memorial tablet.

Within a short space of time, as I traverse Skelgill Bank towards Catbells, the mist starts to clear, and Swinside begins its reconnection with the valley floor: -

Mist clearing around Swinside.

Looking in the other direction from the same spot, you would never be aware that the mist had been there. - Looking towards Catbells, with Hindscarth and Robinson over to the right hand side: -

Catbells, Hindscarth, Robinson.

Approaching Catbells, the first main summit of the day: -

Approaching Catbells.

Another look back, and Swinside's reconnection to the valley floor is almost complete. :D : -

Swinside with mist almost gone.

Derwentwater, Keswick, Skiddaw, and Blencathra, as seen from near Catbells' summit area. - Still just a few wisps of mist hanging around the lake shores: -

Derwentwater, Keswick, Skiddaw, and Blencathra, from Catbells.

Looking across Yewthwaite Comb, and the rocky outcrops of the ridge spur of High Crags, (prominent across mid-shot), to Hindscarth and Robinson, with Buttermere's Red Pike in the far distance. (Taken from Catbells summit area): -

Hindscarth and Robinson.

Now on the way to Maiden Moor, looking back across Catbells to Skiddaw etc.: -

Looking across Catbells to Skiddaw.

Approaching High Spy, with Dale Head Crags and the Tongue Gill ravine dominating the view: -

Dale Head Crags.

The summit cairn on High Spy, with Dale Head beyond: -

View from High Spy summit.

A small bog-pool passed on the descent to Dalehead Tarn, with the Causey Pike to Crag Hill ridge on the skyline, framed by the rocky outcrops: -

Bog pool with lots of floral interest.

Approaching Dale Head summit, with this superb view northwards down the Newlands valley. In my humble opinion, this has to be one of the very best views in Lakeland!

Looking down Newlands valley.

The supremely well constructed Dale Head summit cairn, and more of that fantastic view: -

Dale Head summit cairn.

Reluctantly leaving the spectacular views from Dale Head behind, I decided to include Robinson in the walk. Quite a way out to one side, and not really falling within the natural flow of the Newlands circuit - but on such a superb day it was not to be missed, enabling even more of Lakeland's amazing views to be seen.

Looking across Buttermere, with High Crag, High Stile, and Red Pike prominent behind the lake: -

Buttermere, with High Crag, High Stile, and Red Pike beyond.

Further along the ridge on the approach to Robinson, and a shot to the west showing Fleetwith Pike, with Haystacks and High Crag behind, and Pillar on the horizon: -

Haystacks, Pillar, etc.

A view from Robinson summit, looking across Crummock Water and Loweswater. You may just be able to spot the ground level Ordnance Survey triangulation point "button" towards the lower right hand side of the summit shelter: -

Robinson summit view.

Another view from Robinson summit, showing Grasmoor, Whiteless Pike, and Rannerdale Knotts. -Walked on my last outing, which took in the spectacular Rannerdale Bluebells display. (Crag Hill is also in shot at right hand side): -

Grasmoor etc. from Robinson.

Heading back from Robinson towards Hindscarth. Not the most spectacular of views on this part of the walk. :) : -

Looking to Hindscarth from Robinson.

With Hindscarth summit reached, the views once again open out all around: -

View from Hindscarth.

Looking across the Knott End - High Crags "spur", to Catbells, with Skiddaw and Blencathra on the horizon. (Taken from the flanks of Hindscarth on the way across to Scope End): -

Catbells from Hindscarth flanks.

The head of Newlands valley begins to come into view from the Scope End ridge: -

Head of Newlands from Scope End ridge.

Further along the ridge, nearer to Scope End, and much more of Newlands valley can be seen: -

Newlands valley.

Looking across Ard Crags to the Causey Pike - Crag Hill ridgeline. - (As seen from Scope End): -

Causey Pike etc.

About to reach the main descent of Scope End, and the full extent of Newlands valley can be seen. With High Spy's Eel Crags to the left, Dale Head Crags to centre, and the flanks of Hindscarth to right hand side: -

Newlands valley from Scope End.

Scope end falling away in front, with the track around Low Snab and along towards Littletown seen in the valley below: -

Scope End and the track to Littletown.

Approaching the valley floor at Scope End, and Causey Pike takes centre stage in the view: -

Causey Pike from Scope End.

Valley floor reached, and crossing the Newlands Beck footbridge beside Low Snab gives this superb view along the extent of Newlands valley towards Dale Head: -

Newlands valley from Low Snab footbridge.

Nearing the end of a superb walk, and a quick look back towards Dale Head from the track to Littletown: -

Newlands from the Littletown track.

The day had been extremely warm and I'd gone through almost all but the last few drops of the 2.5 litres of drinks carried. It was, therefore, a nice surprise on reaching Littletown, to find that the Farm "Tea Room" was open. Thus, I was able to purchase a very cold, very refreshing, and very thirst quenching pint of bitter shandy :D before taking the "Vicarage" footpath across the fields to Low Skelgill Farm, Gutherscale, and back to the car. Another great day in the Lakes!

Regards, Mike.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.