Harter Fell, Mardale(clockwise)

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Gaflatlast on 17/04/21 at 8:16am

So glad to get out and get some lockdown cobwebs blown off. We decided to have a crack at Harter Fell as its only a shortish one and especially with both of us being a bit out of shape after the winter/festive/lockdown excesses.

Anyway we parked in the car park at the end of the road that hugs Hawswater reservoir.

The weather was sunny and cloudy with hardly any wind whatsoever apart from the odd breeze here and there. The reservoir was like a mirror.

From here we started up Gatescarth Pass. The Pass is moderately steep in parts, rough and winding, but easy overall. The zigzaggy ascent is a nice opener to get the legs and lungs working. I suppose it becomes easier the more experienced and fit you are.

Anyhow, after a couple of drink stops along the way we made it to where the path turns right to ascend Little Harter Fell. Unfortunately there's a few photos missing here and there due to excitement at being out and the inexperience at doing photo shoots whilst walking and taking in the scenery. I'm sure I'll get better as time goes on though.

Looking down from Little Harter Fell at the path near the top of Gatescarth Pass

The short ascent from the Pass up to Little Harter Fell is done in no time at all and before you know it the views just open up and make you realise why you're there in the first place. Spectacular views of the reservoir and so many surrounding hills are extremely rewarding.

The trip to Harter Fell from Little Harter Fell is a very pleasant stroll along the felltop. So when you come across 2 large piles of stone and scrap metal you're almost within shouting distance of your goal. I've read that the metal is from old fencing that used to be up here.

Looking across the remainder of the walk from the stone and metal piles up to Harter Fell. Not far now.

My better half showing how to do a pleasant stroll along the felltop.:lol:

Once again the views are just stunning. We're still learning the names of all the fells and have trouble identifying some of them so I'll just let the pics talk for themselves this time rather than me try and tell you what they are and be wrong.

This is where we decided to have spot of lunch. Smelly egg barms, cheese n onion barms, a bag of wotsits and a couple of Mr Kiplings Bakewell Slices washed down with a cappuccino for me and a cuppa tea for my better half (brought the stove as a treat today). I don't think theres a nicer place to enjoy lunch than on top of a Lake District fell with the sun shining down(mostly), no wind to speak of, no people and taking in the breathtaking views all round. Pure therapy. Anyway lunch over and we started our descent towards Small Water via the ominous zig zaggy boulder strewn scree path. Most of the descent is okay, with just a few tricky bits, but we took our time.(and again forgot to take more pics):roll:

We approached the shelter at the top of the Nan Bield Pass and turned right heading down to Small Water. This part of the path is once again a combination of rock, boulder and scree, but we eventually arrived at Small Water where the path was well trodden and clearly heading back in the direction of the car park.

Alongside the path you'll see some slate shelters that apparently were used by shepherds and travellers many years ago.

You'll also see lots of these items dotted around too. We couldn't work out their purpose and several other walkers didn't know either.

Once at the head of Small Water you have to cross its outflow which is the beginning of Small Water Beck. It was easy enough today but after heavy rain could be more difficult although still do-able. Mrs dry boots decided she would go first today.:D

All the while the views up and around are still spectacular. Looking back to the top of Nan Bield Pass.

We continued down what seemed at times an endless path stretching forever into the distance. The complete descent overall was quite an effort with us being out of shape and a couple of joint issues between us. We made it though and were both chuffed we'd bagged another Wainwright.

It just goes to show you that you do need to be relatively fit and healthy to attempt some of the walks in the Lake District as the efforts involved and the conditions and terrain can take their toll on you. Not all walks are suited to all people. We really enjoyed our Harter Fell outing today and it certainly blew off some of those cobwebs mentioned earlier. An absolutely stunningly beautiful walk. Walk time is usually 2 hours 10 mins apparently but we had several refreshment stops and lost count of the times we stopped to take in the views and a bit of exploring too. We also took 30 mins for lunch. Add to that the slower progress of our groany old bones and we stopped the clock at around the 4 hours 30 mins. Walking the zig zaggy paths gave us a distance of approx 4.5 miles. Thoroughly recommended walk though. We hope you enjoy our walk report and just hope that there might be a few snippets in it that might help someone else that they haven't read elsewhere. With Kind Regards from Mandy & Stu

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.