Helm Crag & Gibson Knott from Lancrigg

Forum » Walk Reports » Lake District

By Gaflatlast on 26/02/22 at 3:19pm (last edited 26/02/22 at 3:31pm)

Decided to do Helm Crag and Gibson Knott today as there had been plenty of snow recently and I assumed that there would be none or very little on the smaller fells. Luckily it turned out to be a good decision. I've never really fancied Helm Crag but it proved to me that every fell is different and you never know, until you go. What a great little Fell.

The route shows 3.86 miles but in reality with all the little zigzags it turned out to be 4.4 mile.
The weather was cold especially when you became exposed to the wind and we had blue skies with cloud bubbling up in the distance which never reached us. The Fell had been snowed on recently but not as much as the taller Fells and most had melted away leaving only little pockets here and there amongst the rocks and steps and the sheltered from the sun sections. I did have my snow & ice grippers with me but chose not to use them due to the patchy nature of the snow today on Helm Crag and just be extra careful and deliberate with my balance and where I was stepping.
If we were going to do the full Greenburn Round they would have definitely been required after Gibson Knott.

As time wasn't our friend today due to family commitments, we parked in the small car park at the Lancrigg Hotel rather than in Grasmere or on the A591 or the small car park on Grandy Close. This made the walk shorter but still excellent.
We started through the picturesque woodland grounds of the Lancrigg and within a few minutes were at the foot of the fell proper.

Through both gates Turning right at the sign and then right at the end of the wall

Past one of the old quarries that were used to build some of the buildings in and around Grasmere

Taking the left path

Follow the wall

And follow the obvious path up the fell

Your route consistes of manmade steps, well worn paths and small boulder and scree sections. It is steep in places and levels out in a couple too. If you take your time, you'll be at the top before you know.

The Lion & The Lamb is approached first and our view was silhoutted by the early morning sun

A very short amble over to the true summit reveals The Howitzer. We chose to do what Mr Wainwright did and decided not to climb it. We were more than happy with the views and having reached this point.

Me enjoying the views and bagging another Fell.

After The Howitzer our goal was Gibson Knott, so it was downhill into Bracken Hause and back up to Gibson Knott. The Hause was quite boggy but still negotiated with a bit of common sense. This shouldn't be an issue in the drier months.

The path from the Hause to Gibson Knott was well defined although gently flowing with melt water which was a bit muddy in places.

Gibson Knott summit is clearly marked by a small cairn which is skillfully exhibited by my walking partner for todays expedition and future son-in-law Chris. We found shelter from the wind after summiting and had lunch even though it was mid morning. Soup and butties accompanied by spectacular snow capped views all around and bathed in sunshine.

Our descent was to retrace our steps to Bracken Hause and then choose 1 of 3 routes down. Either back over Helm Crag, down to the left going NE facing Steel Fell or down to the right going SW facing Blea Rigg. We chose the latter and found it to be very steep with plenty of melt water flowing down through the loose scree and grassy and mud sections. Extra care should be taken when descending this side as its easy to slip and break a pole. (no names mentioned, but it wasn't me):lol:
We were down and off the Fell in a jiffy though and ended our descent at a large path that took us right back to Lancrigg Hotel.

The whole walk was a very pleasant surprise and much better than I had assumed it was going to be. Full of variety and great views. We even saw 2 young deer frollicking about in front of us and several Red Squirrels as well as the usual sheep and birds. We only saw humans on our way down and had both summits to ourselves all morning.
A brilliant little Fell thats more than recommended.
The Lake District Fells are absolutely amazing especially in the warmer months but there's something special about being on them in snow with blue skies and sunshine in the winter. Just make sure you have the correct gear to keep you warm and safe.

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.