Loch Tanna 2005

Forum » Walk Reports » Scotland

By Chris Mac on 14/09/15 at 11:29pm

This is an old set of photo's from 10 years ago so excuse the poor digital camera phone quality of the time!

So myself, Neil, Gav and Donny set off for Loch Tanna and up the public path winding its way up Glen Catacol. Back then I wasn't aware of the Catacol Whitebeams being a very rare species of tree only found in this Glen and nowhere else on the planet, otherwise we would have gone looking for them.

Four miles to Loch Tanna.

Just after this corner Gav tried to emulate my successful traverse of a large rock to fill up my water bottle from a small waterfall, only to slip and flume down the burn about 10 feet hahaha!

Note Gav's wet shorts as he forces a smile for the camera. :D

Onwards and up the Glen...

A very good path so far.

A quick break.

Continuing along the path beside Abhainn Mor burn as it starts to climb a bit more.

Waterfall 1.

Waterfall 2.

Gav looking threateningly at his nemesis! :lol:

Getting a bit steeper now...

Top o'the hill, with someone moaning the whole way up about his squelching wet feet!! :roll:

The path deteriorates a bit on the way down to the loch and the cairn we passed was tiny if memory serves me right.

Loch Tanna looks stunning from here, yet it felt very isolated and quiet up at the largest and most remote loch on Arran.

Almost there... Gav powering ahead.

Rewarded for our efforts with the surprise of a nice wee beach to sit down at.

Break time.

It's lovely up here, feels like we are the only ones around for miles, because we are!

Right then, time to head back.

A bit chillier for the return journey down Glen Catacol.

Onwards and downwards...

You get some nice views of the waterfalls of Abhainn Mor on the way.

The path opens up a bit as we continue down Glen Catacol.

A bigger version of the rock and water flume Gav slid down. :wink:

Easy going for the final stretch.

Unconfirmed sighting of Catacol Whitebeam...

This part of the burn is affectionately known as "Gav's Corner". :D

The view opens out into Catacol Bay.

Over to the right you can make out the Catacol Bay Hotel and the Twelve Apostles.

The bridge over the burn signals the end of our 3 hour walk and it was a good one, recommended and probably the opposite of what you would get at Lake Windermere! Next time I visit Loch Tanna i'm taking a bucket and spade to make a sandcastle... :)

WalkLakes recognises that hill walking, or walking in the mountains, is an activity with a danger of personal injury or death.
Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.